Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities (SCHC) is dedicated to meeting the holistic health needs of the communities of Scarborough by addressing many aspects of health including physical, mental, social, financial and environmental. Through the promotion of healthy lifestyles and the delivery of a diverse range of health and social services, we cultivate vital and connected communities.
We are currently looking to hire a:
Community Services Manager
Full Time (35 hrs a week)
6 month contract
Senior Director Community Services
The Community Services Manager is responsible for providing leadership and support to the community engagement team located within the Kingston-Galloway neighborhood. This individual will be responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the team. It is the expectation that the individual will work within a person and family centred care philosophy and demonstrate a commitment to the mission, vision and values of SCHC.
Key areas of responsibility:
Provides leadership and overall management support to the community engagement team located in the Kingston-Galloway community. Overall program management includes:
- implementing appropriate hiring, recruitment, human resource and personnel practices
- performance management
- development and monitoring of budgets and work plans
- completing funding applications and reports as required
- monitoring quality of service and identifying training needs for the department
- coordinating program activities across different departmental areas
Supervision and Team Development
Responsible for overseeing:
- ensures the mentorship and performance management of staff
- ensures that team meetings and communications occur on a regular basis
- promotes a welcoming environment for staff and clients
- Ensure regular planning activities occur to support the development of goals and work plans for program areas that are aligned with SCHC’s strategic plan
- Support integration within SCHC programs and services
- Coordinate and support partnerships with multiple and diverse stakeholders
- Coordinate and facilitate networking, integration, and collaboration within the community stakeholders
- Ensure community priorities are reflected in programs and services offered.
- Develop and implement evaluation processes and identify recommendations and improvements for services
- Ensure that community members are regularly consulted in program design and evaluation processes
- Ensure services appropriately reflect the organization’s strategic priorities, mission, vision, and values
- Assesses the resource needs for program areas
- Identifies opportunities for resource development
- Develops strategies to secure funding, including:
- Liaising with funders
- Drafting funding proposals
- Developing and maintaining constructive working relationships with existing partners
- Identifying opportunities for partnership development
- Remain current and knowledgeable of issues related to the social determinants of health, community health, homelessness in the GTA, local community trends, etc. particularly in the Scarborough area.
- Identify trends and issues as they develop and where appropriate develop responsive program initiatives
- Develop and maintain operational systems where required and ensure the on-going completion of program administration including:
- Collation of monthly statistics, administration of petty cash systems, etc.
- Development and monitoring of budgets, including variance analysis
- In conjunction with other staff, identify areas which require additional resources
- Coordinate and complete reporting requirements in accordance with funder time frames
- Represents the organization at external forums with respect to advocacy, partnerships and other issues
- Participate as part of management team in organizational planning and development
- Participates on organizational workgroups or committees as required
Crisis Intervention and Conflict Mediation
- When appropriate and needed, intervene and mediate in crisis and conflicts of both staff, volunteers and community members.
Other duties as assigned.
Scope and Accountability
- Responsible for the management, supervision and coordination of staff and volunteers
- The current community engagement team consists of the following programs/staff:, EarlyON program, Homelessness Intervention program, Furniture, Clothing and Food Banks, meal programs and other seasonal supports. Programs and staff may change and the scope of this job may not be limited to these programs.
Educational and/or Professional Qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities either attained from a degree from an accredited university or college program or through an equivalent level of experience.
Level of Experience:
- Minimum five years of experience in development, implementation, and management of community development and health promotion programs
- Experience working with communities that are dealing with issues related to violence, poverty, social isolation and exclusion
Skills and Attributes
- Core program management competencies
- Skilled in program development
- Experienced at managing and leading teams through change
- Ability to stay calm, focused and enjoy multitasking in a complex and demanding environment
- Sensitivity to and awareness of cultural, racial and socio-economic diversity within the community
- Strong conflict resolution and mediation skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experienced in program planning and evaluation
- Experienced in budget development, monitoring and reporting
- Demonstrated strong funder relations
- Possesses strong leadership skills and demonstrates initiative while working under pressure
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with other organizations
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Experience with building maintenance and operations
Significant Working Conditions
- Programs located within Community Housing
- Ability to transport including lifting/carrying/pulling up to 25lbs of equipment between multiple sites
- Working with clients who sometimes exhibit difficult behaviors. Flexibility of hours – evenings or weekend work required
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle an asset
- Subject to Police Reference Check
Please reply in confidence to HR:
By email: email@example.com
Note: Please quote CSM position in the subject line.
Deadline: Until Filled
All applications must be received by this date for consideration.
We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted.
Note: Please quote Community Services Manager in the subject line.
SCHC values equity, inclusion and accessibility. We welcome those who have a demonstrated commitment to upholding these values and who will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, newcomers, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or LGBTQ2S+
Please note that all qualified candidates, eligible to be employed in Canada, are encouraged to apply.
As an employer, we strive for excellence as a workplace and are committed to building a workforce that enhances our capacity to meet the needs of the diverse communities we serve. SCHC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our clients, employees, job applicants, suppliers and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information or use our services. We respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and its associated regulations.
For more information about our programs and services, please visit our website at www.schcontario.ca.