The Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network (www.aidslaw.ca) promotes the human rights of people living with, at risk of or affected by HIV and AIDS, in Canada and internationally, through research and analysis, litigation and other advocacy, public education and community mobilization. The Legal Network is one of the world’s leading advocacy organizations working on legal and human rights issues raised by HIV and AIDS.
The Legal Network is seeking a Communications and Campaigns Officer to conceptualize, write and coordinate production of an array of communications and campaigns products (design capabilities would be a strong asset), act as a strategic liaison with journalists (both national and international), lead community outreach activities, and help to devise and implement creative advocacy and government relations campaigns in consultation with the Director of Communications and Advocacy and the Research and Policy Unit. In addition, this position works with the Director of Communications to support the Development unit in its fundraising efforts — specifically through the creation of stewardship materials and other donor-centered communications, as well as the promotion of events. As part of the Communications Team, the Communications and Campaigns Officer reports to the Director of Communications and Advocacy. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Develop, implement and evaluate the Legal Network's media relations (and cultivate relationships with media as the primary liaison for journalists), stakeholder relations and public communications activities;
- Help to plan, manage, implement and evaluate multi-faceted, creative strategic communications projects (including print, web-based, and digital projects) from start to finish;
- Help to develop, plan, implement and evaluate advocacy and government relations campaigns and products, which may include direct outreach to politicians and policymakers;
- Develop and implement outreach strategies for various communications campaigns and for appropriate audiences (including, but not limited to, community groups and current and prospective donors);
- Undertake writing and editing duties related to media relations and other projects, including press releases, letters to the editor, opinion editorials, brochures, web text, etc.;
- Undertake design for certain products (if design capabilities exist); manage outside contractors in the design and production of certain products;
- Provide strategic communications advice (with particular emphasis on audiences and promotions) for Legal Network workshops and events; work to coordinate communications and press events as needed;
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, develop, implement, and evaluate communications strategies/initiatives to cultivate, recognize and steward donors (including print materials, website content, web-based communications, and gift recognition correspondence);
- Provide strategic communications advice (with particular emphasis on audiences and promotions) for Legal Network membership/donor activities, as assigned by the Director of Communications and Advocacy (with input from the Director of Development);
- Help to manage the organization’s social media accounts;
- Help to coordinate the organization’s digital newsletter;
- Work with the Communications Specialist on maintaining website content and troubleshooting any web-related issues; and
- Undertake other related tasks as may be assigned by the Director of Communications and Advocacy.
As an ideal candidate, you:
- Hold a post-secondary degree (BA, diploma) and ideally 2-3 years communications experience;
- Possess excellent oral and written communications skills in English (and such skills in French would be a strong asset);
- Are experienced in liaising with journalists and media outlets;
- Understand the importance of strategic communications and are familiar with the production of many different types of communications products and mediums;
- Have experience in advocacy and government relations, and are comfortable interacting with politicians and policymakers;
- Have worked with outside contractors to produce successful communications products;
- Have design experience and skills and are familiar with design software;
- Can boast of having organized multiple, successful events;
- Have worked with an array of stakeholders and understand how to plan strategic communications products tailored to difference audiences;
- Are experienced in using various social media platforms;
- Are experienced in website maintenance;
- Are a team player able to manage various needs and opinions;
- Display creativity in developing promotional materials and strategies;
- Maintain good humour and collegiality;
- Are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and can work under tight deadlines;
- Have prior experience working for a non-governmental organization; and
- Have a passion for the work of the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network.
Please send your resumé to email@example.com, along with the following: a cover letter explaining how your experience corresponds to this posting, and 2-3 short and recent writing samples demonstrating your strategic communications ability. Writing samples such as news releases and brochures are highly encouraged.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and the position will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Legal Network is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including persons living with HIV.