Housing Support Worker Job Posting
Founded in 1984, Ecuhome provides quality affordable housing and support for people who have experienced homelessness. Our portfolio includes 58 shared houses, 4 apartment buildings, and a large historic rooming house.
Ecuhome is looking for a Housing Support Worker to provide support and assistance to tenants to maintain their housing, develop life skills, and regain their place in the community. Also responsible for ensuring the quality of Ecuhome’s houses and for developing and maintaining positive community relations.
Reporting to the Program Manager you would be responsible to:
- Ensure that tenants have access to the broad range of financial, health and social services that they may need, as well as supports in time of crisis;
- Providing an orientation for new tenants to the resource centre, house and surrounding community resources;
- Developing a support plan with each new tenant outlining support needs and individualized goals and reviewing and updating the plan as necessary;
- Providing coaching and assistance as necessary to help tenants improve their health and well-being, develop life skills, increase their sense of belonging, find meaningful activities and build resilience;
- Working with the housing support team to develop programs and services to respond to tenant needs and emergencies;
- Ensure that the quality of Ecuhome’s houses is maintained;
- Build and maintain positive relations with community agencies/partners and with other Ecuhome staff;
- Pay close attention to the administrative and legal forms and files associated with the work.
- Minimum two years post-secondary education in social services and 2- 3 years of experience working in the social or community services sector required;
- Specific experience working with people who are homeless or have had difficulties maintaining housing is preferred;
- An understanding of the systemic reasons for homelessness, sensitivity to people of different socio-economic backgrounds, and a willingness to meet their needs is essential;
- Demonstrated skills in administration, conflict resolution, crisis intervention, goal setting and informal counseling required, as is experience working cooperatively and developing relationships with other agencies and community resources;
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act and other relevant legislation is an asset;
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required, including proficiency in word processing and use of e-mail. Working knowledge of spread sheet applications an asset.
Job Type: 6-month contract position with the possibility for extension - 35 hours per week
Location: Working out of our 76 Pembroke St. Office
Please Note: A police reference check is required by the successful candidate. Ecuhome Corporation is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 3798.
Ecuhome is committed to providing equal access to employment opportunities; promoting equal access to our programs, supports and services; and identifying and removing any internal, systemic barriers to inclusion in all Ecuhome operations.