TROPICANA COMMUNITY SERVICES ORGANIZATION
Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally-appropriate programs such as counselling, child care, educational and employment services and youth development.
Job Title: Youth Leader
Position Type: Contract – full time (June 17 – August 9, 2019)
Department: Youth Development & Education
Location: Scarborough, ON
Hours: 8:00am – 4:00pm or 10:00am – 6:00pm (5 days/week)
Rate of Pay: $ 15.00/hour
Primary Function: To assist in the facilitation of the Camp Tropicana 2019 summer program. In particular, the Camp Counsellor will report to the Education Coordinator and assist the Camp Coordinator in the facilitation of camp programming and other camp-related activities.
- Assist the Camp Coordinator in the implementation and facilitation of a dynamic and fun-filled 6-week program for campers.
- Assist Camp Coordinator in leading campers in a variety of small and large group activities each week.
- Attend and participate in all staff training sessions and staff meetings.
- Supervise campers at all times.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment at all times.
- Display leadership and communication skills.
- Be a positive role model for campers.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and creativity.
- Participate in program and staff evaluations.
- Assist the Camp Coordinator in resolving conflicts among campers and camper behavioural issues, wherever necessary.
- Be punctual.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all campers (daily attendance, medical/emergency contact information, special needs, incident reports, pick-up information, etc.).
- Know, enforce, and understand all Occupational Health & Safety Act (Ensure that site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter before, during and after the day’s program; Knowing campers’ whereabouts at all times).
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Sign and abide by TCS’s employment contract.
- If applicable, maintain constant surveillance of the pool area/body of water, know/review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately.
- Secondary or post-secondary education.
- Education and/or experience in youth camps, youth programs, youth recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Knowledge of African/Caribbean/Canadian history.
- Knowledge of and ability to communicate educational, recreational, and life skills.
- Excellent behavioural management skills.
- Leadership, organizational, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Multicultural sensitivity and sensitivity to special needs.
- Valid Police Reference Check to be submitted.
- Upon hire, completion of TCS provided First Aid certification.
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Current nationally accredited lifeguard certification (applicable for body of water being guarded) would be an asset.
- Oxygen Administration certification (may not guard until certification is complete) would be an asset.
Please apply in writing to:
Hiring Committee, Youth Development & Education
1385 Huntingwood Drive
Scarborough, ON M1S 3J1
Or by email to:
Closing: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 12:00 PM
We thank all candidates for the interest shown, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Tropicana Community Services offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment processes. If you are contacted, please advise if you require accommodation.