Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada Position Description
Marketing Manager, Direct and Digital
Marketing & Public Engagement
VP Marketing & Public Engagement
About Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada and Stand Up for Kids
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is our country's leading charity dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth growing up in the child welfare system. We raise and grant funds, and deliver a wide range of high-impact programs and services in partnership with 77 child- and youth-serving agencies across the country that support more than 22,700 vulnerable young people annually. Stand Up for Kids is our national campaign for child welfare, which aims to change the futures of Canada’s most at-risk kids – those who have experienced abuse, neglect, and abandonment. We know that by helping these young people to overcome their trauma and break the cycle for future generations, they gain the strength and resilience to create a lifetime of their own unstoppable successes. Learn more at cafdn.org
The Foundation is a dynamic and growing organization committed to the long term growth and stability of funding for child welfare programs across the country. Our staff members are a highly committed team of professionals who are dedicated to delivering excellence and maximizing the social value of donations and volunteer contributions to child welfare in Canada.
Purpose of the Position
The Marketing Manager, Direct & Digital plays a pivotal role in developing and executing strategies that create greater awareness and drive donations supporting the Foundation’s work to create life-changing impact for children and youth involved in child welfare across the country. Reporting to the VP and in close partnership with the broader Marketing and Public Engagement team and Development team, the Manager is responsible for the implementation of the Foundation’s mass-market giving strategy, including activities that grow and cultivate the mass-market prospect and donor base, engage new supporters, and contribute to overall Foundation awareness and revenue goals. The role’s priority focus is to develop creative and compelling strategies to continue to build the Stand Up for Kids movement and the Stand Up for Kids Project (monthly and one-time giving product) in the Canadian marketplace using owned, earned, paid, and pro bono media.
The position is responsible for the execution of direct response campaigns (direct mail, online, and email), multi-channel mass-market fundraising and awareness campaigns, and online tribute giving. This role will use data analysis and segmentation to leverage learnings from our in-house database and external lists to develop a donor development strategy that will establish a pipeline for future higher giving levels and will actively cultivate new prospects in order to grow our database of qualified donors.
This is an excellent opportunity for a results oriented marketing and fundraising professional with proven experience in direct response campaigns, and for creating compelling donor/supporter engagement campaigns. This is a fast paced, cross-team collaborative environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
Direct Response Initiatives/Mass-Market Fundraising – 50%
- Lead the growth and development of the Stand Up for Kids Project. This includes integration into overall Foundation fundraising strategy, marketing and promotional plan, on-going stewardship and reporting;
- Develop the annual direct response work plan, including strategy, upgrade initiatives, digital giving opportunities, ad campaigns;
- Working closely with the Senior Manager, Finance & Data to ensure in-house direct response data lists are comprehensive and accurate;
- Develop list segmentation strategies to optimize future giving;
- Collaborate with the marketing and public engagement team as well as external agency partners/contractors in the development and execution of digital ad campaigns, testing opportunities and tactics to identify new sources/channels for conversion;
- Execute approved plan achieving targets and goals;
- Monitor response rates and testing results, and provide recommendations for future appeals and campaigns;
- Assess donor groups and channels, and lead the development of Key Performance Indicators for the Foundation’s Annual Giving donor categories;
- Review and refine gift fulfillment, acknowledgement, receipting, and stewardship processes.
Awareness building initiatives – 20%
- Develop strategies to increase supporter engagement and awareness building activities with the objective of increasing the size of our prospect pool, social media/digital engagement, awareness, and positive regard
- Consider multiple channels, including online and digital, internal/owned channels, website, paid media etc.
Website and Digital Engagement – 20%
- In partnership with the Marketing and Public Engagement team:
- Design and execute the integrated digital engagement strategy to support Foundation donor base growth and engagement and conversion goals.
- Recommend and execute improvements to the digital user experience on key properties (cafdn.org and standupforkids.ca) using insights and analytics
- Provide quarterly executive and monthly management reporting
Tribute Fundraising – 10%
- Develop and execute annual tribute promotional campaign to educate and inspire the public to give through tribute, memorial, and EchoAge gifts;
- Identify opportunities for growth and expansion in each of the tribute lines;
- Work with the Marketing and Public Engagement team to create a year-round promotional campaign on social media.
- 4-6 years of experience in brand building, integrated marketing communications with experience in areas such as: digital marketing, advertising, direct response/direct mail, web design, graphic design.
- University or college degree in digital marketing, advertising, communications, or equivalent experience
- Proven success in direct marketing/revenue generating campaigns and/or loyalty programs (offline/online)
- Demonstrated experience with website analytics tools and reporting at a management and executive level
- Demonstrated experience with SEO, AdWords, and Google Grants
- Knowledge of website management/content management systems like WordPress, Constant Contact, and online fundraising portals, such as Artez
- Knowledge of fundraising systems such as Raiser’s Edge (RE)
- Understanding and practical experience leveraging donor cultivation, acquisition, and stewardship cycles;
- Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated capacity in writing and creating compelling direct response appeals and donor engagement products;
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to identify new revenue opportunities;
- Solid understanding of database management, gift processing, and/or donor relations;
- Excellent ability to manage time with multiple competing deadlines;
- Ability to work independently, communicate at all levels with confidence and sound judgement, tact and confidentiality in relation to beneficiaries (the children and youth that we serve), donors, volunteers, staff and the public;
- University or college degree in fundraising, marketing, communications, business administration, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Interest in social justice, child welfare, child rights
- Alignment to organizational values: Care & Compassion, Child & Youth Focused, Excellence & Leadership, Integrity, Collaboration/Teamwork
Skills and Abilities
- Creative and strategic thinker with the ability to bring the organization’s key strategic priorities to market in a high quality, impactful and efficient way.
- Comfortable setting/negotiating priorities with a cross functional team
- Strong collaboration and consultation abilities to best understand the full picture - including business objectives, budgets, timelines, and project or donor specific requirements.
- Experience managing third party vendors/agencies/partners incl briefings, audience targeting, creative production, post-analysis
- Strong background and hands-on knowledge of the Mac platform including Adobe, Creative Suite
- Solid knowledge and experience with fundraising and donor management software (eg RE)
- Solid knowledge and experience with community based fundraising platforms (eg Artez)
- Knowledge of email marketing automation platforms (such as Constant Contact)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities concurrently
- Creative problem solver, curious, pro-active, collaborative
- Goal setting and achievement oriented
- Interest in child rights and social justice
Hours of work
- Regular office hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Vacation restrictions during busy periods.
- Local travel occasionally, during business hours.
- Opportunity for shared supervision of department interns, as applicable
Please forward a current resume, with covering letter in one single document, detailing how your qualifications match this opportunity and salary expectations, to email@example.com and include “2019 Marketing Manager, Direct and Digital” in the subject line of your email by April 23, 2019.
We thank all candidates for their interest in the work of Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.