More Than A Roof Mennonite Housing Society employs local men and women with an 'urban missionary' mindset. Our mandate to 'do life' with people brings us very close to those we intend to serve through the provision of stable, affordable housing. Creating healthy community requires care and commitment, so we look to hire people skills coupled with competence and ability for each position. MTR promotes a Christian faith based, team setting where we work together and support one another in an atmosphere of honesty and inclusion. We attract people with integrity, compassion, and a heart for the work.
Purpose: To serve on MTR finance team to ensure responsible financial practice, support for accounting practices across the organization, monthly and annual fiscal responsibility, and information technology and accounting software implementation support as needed while upholding the mission, vision and values of More Than A Roof Group.
Report to: Chief Financial Officer
Full Time: 40 hours per week
- Full cycle accounting for multiple property management companies with assistance of staff accountants.
- Process general accounting functions, including account reconciliations and adjustments.
- Assisting with the external audit process and reconcile accounts to final financial statements.
- Maintenance of the chart of accounts, reconcile all bank accounts & reconcile I/C accounts
- Perform budget variance analysis at a property level.
- Implement and comply with Company’s accounting policies and procedures.
Reporting and Taxation
- Assist with preparation of monthly and year-end financial statements and reporting.
- Assist with preparation of budget and actual report for housing authorities.
- Prepare and file quarterly returns as required.
- Assist with CRA inquiries, reviews, and audits
Controls and processes
- Understand and implement finance controls and processes; recommend improvements and new controls as necessary.
- Improve and streamline controls and processes through use of technology. Introduce new tools as needed to drive efficiencies in existing processes.
- Develop and implement a proper filing system (electronic and paper) within the accounting function.
Special Projects and Business Involvement
- Assist in the preparation of proforma for new development projects.
- Assist in conducting diligence work on development projects – feasibility analysis.
- Organize overall corporate insurance policies for the Group, Course of Construction. Insurance, wrap-up insurance, etc.
- Understand and assist in financing options for projects & conduct analysis.
Information Technology Support
- Lead implementation of new accounting system.
- Provide support for new computer setup.
- Assist with troubleshooting programs and computers.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or related field
- Canadian CPA designation or equivalent
- 3+ years of relevant experience in accounting
- Strong understanding of Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profits and Charitable Organizations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Experience with Accounting Programs
- Excellent organizational skills, a positive attitude and an ability to work effectively under pressure are desirable.
- Highly developed prioritization and project management skills and highly efficient at multitasking with a high attention to detail.
- Exceptional communicator and team player.
- Commitment to excellence and personal investment.
- A proven leader with developed entrepreneurial skills.
- Strong analytical capacity, sound business sense and creative mind that have earned a reputation of providing excellence.
- Demonstrates integrity, ethical decision-making and behaviours that build trust across teams.
- Builds trust and independently manages off-site relations.
- Seeks out opportunities for innovation, and will consult with colleagues and stakeholders, also acts as champions for new processes.
Please visit www.morethanaroof.org to know more about More Than a Roof Housing Society. Refer to our vacancies section to know documents required for job application.
Job Type: Full-time