Executive Director, Leadership Philanthropy
Grow your career while making an impact at Diabetes Canada!
Today, 11 million Canadians live with diabetes or pre-diabetes. Current growth rates mean that young people at age 20 face a 1 in 2 lifetime risk of developing the condition. To stem the tide of this epidemic, Diabetes Canada is raising its sights to deliver impact at a population level by advocating for healthy public policy, driving exceptional diabetes care, promoting research towards a cure, and enhancing our digital delivery consistent with the needs of those we serve today and the desires of our donors.
About the Executive Director, Leadership Philanthropy Role
This exciting new role will drive revenue through Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Foundations and Donor Marketing. The incumbent will lead, mentor, develop and motivate a high performance team. Active collaboration will support an integrated fundraising approach so that donors, prospects and opportunities are maximized. This role reports directly to the Vice President, Fund Development and is a key member of the Fund Development Team.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
- Oversee Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Foundations and Donor Marketing portfolios ensuring revenue growth while managing expenses.
- Identify ways to maximize Donor Marketing to support growth in Planned Giving and Major Gifts.
- Build on the existing mid-level program to develop a Major Gifts program and strategy, instituting the development of a prospect pipeline, cultivation, stewardship and solicitation practices.
- Actively engage in the solicitation of Major Gifts from $25k to $1M.
- Recruit, train and provide ongoing leadership to Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Foundations and Donor Marketing Teams.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with top-tier prospects and funders.
- Achieve a high level of collaboration across all functional areas and at all levels of the organization to identify fundable opportunities, make solicitations, and to provide high quality recognition and stewardship.
- Participate as an active member of the Fund Development Team contributing to the development of strategic plans as well as the annual budget.
- Apply a continuous improvement approach to overseeing a disciplined and best practice approach to KPI’s, prospect/relationship management ensuring tracking of progress through the stages of cultivation, stewardship and renewal in Customer Relationship Management software.
- Maintain accurate timely and documented budgets and profitability forecasts for leadership giving supported by reports for the Executive Leadership Team. Highlighting risk in a timely fashion.
- Provide leadership to and act as a resource to Regional staff across Canada.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of all new and on-going programs in order to speak knowledgably and enthusiastically about the work of Diabetes Canada.
- Develop a volunteer strategy to support Leadership Giving.
- Employ a professional and collaborative approach to growing strong working relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 10 plus years’ experience in Fund Development with a focus on Major Gifts
- 5 plus years in Planned Giving and Donor Marketing
- Post-secondary degree university or college
- Understanding of diabetes an asset but not a requirement
- Proven track record of developing and implementing innovative and successful fundraising
- Proven track record in soliciting Major Gifts.
- Strong analytical skills, business acumen
- Excellent relationship building/account management skills
- Experience in a matrix organization
- Excellent written and spoken communications
- Exceptional organizational skills required to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to inspire, coach and motivate others
- Familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) systems
What Diabetes Canada Can Offer You:
- The chance to interact and collaborate with others in a meaningful role within an organization that is making a direct impact on the fight to #EndDiabetes
- The opportunity to work with teams of individuals making a difference every day to improve the lives of millions of people
About the Application Process:
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada and, where applicable, must have a valid work permit or study permit that allows the candidate to fulfill the requirements of the role.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and value a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
- We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.
- We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.