Centennial Success Advisor - Temporary Contract (2 Vacancies)
Centennial Advising and Pathways Services (CAPS)
School of Community and Health Studies
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
Classification: Temporary Contract March 2019 – March 2020
Salary Range: $33.67 - $39.02 (Pay band I)
Location: Morningside Campus
Hours per week: 35 hours
Current Shift Schedule: 8:30 AM to 4:30PM, Monday to Friday, evening shift(s) and occasional weekends will be required
The School of Communication, Media, Arts and Design (SCMAD) is immediately hiring for an adaptable and flexible Success Advisor to support their various departments when needed. Reporting to the Chair with a functional relationship to the Manager of Operations and Student Life (via the Manager, Student Advising), the Advisor plays a pivotal role in facilitating students’ academic, personal, and social development as they transition in, through and beyond the College. As the connection hub, the Advisor fosters positive relationships with, and a sense of community among students they are responsible for. From this foundation, the Advisor provides timely information to students about learning opportunities and administrative requirements throughout the College. Further, the Advisor supports students’ holistic success through active and frequent monitoring of progress toward credential completion, which involves reaching out to students who appear to be struggling, coaching them towards solutions while connecting them with appropriate resources (from workshops to specific services or co-curricular opportunities). Given this breadth of scope, the Advisor must be adept at evaluating data and dealing with highly complex and sensitive situations in an independent and comprehensive manner.
- Proactively engage in activities that promote student engagement, student retention, and academic success
- Provide advice, support, and coaching tailored to students’ unique circumstances, ranging from coaching conversations with students experiencing academic or personal challenges to positive reinforcement for students who appear to be doing well
- Establish collaborative relationships with College partners (e.g., student cohorts, Peer Mentors, Learning Strategists, Faculty members and other college Advisors) as part of a coordinated roadmap for student success
- As part of the service model, offer one-on-one coaching appointments or group sessions for students’ holistic success; this includes development of session/workshop content, supporting materials, and activities, through to delivery and assessment
- Identify and/or predict potential barriers a student may experience and provide necessary coaching, particularly for students with concerning identifiers (e.g., academic probation, late start, infrequent attendance patterns, out of character behaviour, etc.)
- Nurture respectful and trusting relationships with students that are based on shared expectations; must provide a safe and welcoming space that promotes trust and engagement for diverse persons
- Employs developmental, intrusive, and/or appreciative approaches to guide and empower students in constructing plans to overcome challenges (e.g., conflicts, personal obligations, program fit) and take advantage of opportunities (e.g., curricular and co-curricular), towards building their career capacity and achieving their goals
- Actively participate in student community activities throughout the year at all campuses (e.g., orientation, recruitment fairs, convocation, and engagement weeks)
- Accurately maintain detailed summary notes in a centralized database to support a case management approach and to ensure seamless flow of relevant information to other key internal partners
- Analyse data and statistics related to student success and retention trends for the purposes of identifying and developing targeted interventions; collect and evaluate assessment data (e.g., workshops, cohort trends, etc.) and effectively communicate findings to retention teams
- Ensure accessibility and regular contact with advisees through diverse communication channels (e.g., phone, email, social media, social networking, live presentations through virtual/online forums, newsletters, etc.)
- Other administrative duties as required
- Minimum 3 years related practical experience advising students or clients in a post-secondary educational setting or related environment (e.g., social services, public service, etc.).
- Minimum 3 years related practical experience independently assessing student/client barriers/challenges for ongoing case management purposes and coaching them towards developing solutions
- Minimum 3 year diploma/degree or equivalent in a related field (e.g., Social Sciences, Adult Education, Human Resources, Education) or equivalent education and related practical experience advising students in a post-secondary environment
- Related post graduate credentials are an asset (e.g., Certificate in Adult Learning, specializing in Career and Academic Advising from University of Calgary, etc.)
- Strong critical thinking and coaching skills with the proven ability to exercise appropriate situational judgement for the purposes of decision making and identifying strategies to resolve issues independently and/or with limited guidance
- Ability to de-escalate conflicts and experience responding to crisis situations
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering presentations and/or workshops that are inclusive and responsive to diverse learning styles
- Demonstrated student-centered approach with a high degree of sensitivity towards diversity, equity and inclusion
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and excel), proficiency with customer relationship management software and using social media
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to gather, analyze and evaluate data using relevant software and database tools
- Experience within a post-secondary system with broad knowledge of academic programs, policies, procedures and student resources preferred
- Demonstrated adaptability required to support students across various academic programs
- Industry-specific experience is an asset
- Demonstrated relationship building skills to ensure that students/clients feel comfortable interacting and feel listened to; ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Strong time management, organization and both written and verbal communication skills
This role requires a virtual presence for web presentations/webinars that will be posted online/using social media and accessible for all students. Please note advisors must be comfortable maintaining an online presence to ensure accessible service delivery.
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal postsecondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by March 22, 2019 at 4:30 pm. Please quote Competition #19-S-23. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
COMPETITION #19-S-23 POSTING DATE: March 7, 2019 EXPIRY DATE: March 22, 2019