Reporting to the Manager of Development and Communications (the Manager), the Members Liaison/Communications Officer (MLCO) will provide provide reception, member services, and communications duties, such as outreach, promotion, building stakeholder relationships, reporting, development, and fundraising in support of the mission and activities of the Fields Institute. The MLCO actively provides visitors, staff, and the Directorate with services and support that are consistently excellent, professional, and friendly.
Most critically, the incumbent will often be the "face" and first point of contact for the Institute and must make every effort to actively support the Fields Institute environment and its participants.
The MLCO will have a superior command of the fast-changing multi-channel/platform information ecosystem, including design and artistic abilities, and possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills to communicate concepts simply and clearly, engaging diverse communities and individuals.
The incumbent must at all times utilize effective interpersonal skills to support, assist, and clearly and effectively communicate with staff, activity organizers, Institute visitors, and the broader mathematics, statistics, scientific, and academic communities with which the Institute interacts.
Fields Institute Mission
The mission of the Fields Institute is to enhance mathematical activity in Canada and internationally by bringing together mathematicians from Canada and abroad. The Institute supports research in pure and applied mathematics, statistics, and computer science, as well as collaboration between mathematicians and those applying mathematics in areas such as engineering, the physical and biological sciences, medicine, economics and finance, telecommunications and information systems.
Interested candidates should submit:
- a cover letter (including salary expectations), and
- a curriculum vitae.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they come in until the position is filled.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
1. Support the Manager by:
- demonstrating personal accountability, integrity, and trustworthiness
- providing superb service to and actively fostering excellent relationships with Institute stakeholders
- understanding and supporting the mission of the Institute
2. Effectively communicate, utilizing a range of appropriate methods to:
- be aware of and report all significant developments or issues
- understand the attitude, interest, needs, and perspective of others
- share information with good judgment and give and solicit feedback
3. Manage competing demands and needs of the Institute by:
- exhibiting excellent organizational and time management skills and flexibility
- following and adapting to all relevant Institute procedures and processes
- communicating all process improvements to the Manager
- actively streamlining work and systems and improving efficiency
- actively resolving or avoiding duplication, wasted effort, and unnecessary "firefighting"
4. Communications Officer Duties
- Help produce, distribute or implement, as needed:
- annual report, quarterly newsletter (Fields Notes) and other reports.
- communications strategies or outreach campaigns to engage key audiences.
- announcements and online content.
- reports and newsworthy activities, including press releases, brochures, and fundraising and promotional materials.
- establish, build, and steward relationships with potential and current donors, including community members, corporations, foundations, and others.
- contribute to social media platform management (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn).
- participate in ongoing projects and other duties as assigned by the Manager.
5. Members Liaison Duties
- Responsible for handling front office reception and administration duties, including greeting guests
- direct inquiries appropriately
- keep informed and up-to-date of all Institute activities
- answer or direct incoming phone calls to the Institute
- answer questions in a knowledgeable and professional manner
- sort incoming mail, log cheques, receive, and process couriers and mail
- prepare outgoing mail, maintain postage machine
- handle sales of Institute logo-ware and process receipts
- maintain kitchen area, supply cupboards, and reception area
- order catering supplies and set up tea break daily, Monday to Friday
- maintain reception and common areas clean and tidy at all times
- input registration and visiting members information into a database, retrieve and summarize information as required
- receive Institute members and provide Institute information and member services orientation
- set-up and close, as necessary, staff and visitor email, computer, and photocopy accounts
- maintain photo archive and board display of Institute visitors
- other duties as assigned by the Manager
- Three years of relevant experience in an academic or non-for-profit settings
- Strong demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Content Management Systems (WordPress, Drupal, etc.)
- Good knowledge of Adobe InDesign. Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Punctual with strong attendance history
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to both take direction and work autonomously
- Ability to manage competing priorities flexibly and creatively
- Efficient time management skills, practices, and habits
- Flexibility to move in and out of different tasks as required
- Team player with a disciplined, mature and professional approach
- Excellent telephone manner