Executive Director - Abortion Clinic
Choice in Health Clinic has been providing compassionate and client-centred abortion care to women and gender-diverse folks for thirty years. We are leaders in the delivery of accessible, high-quality abortion care provided through an anti-oppression model. We have an excellent client-satisfaction rate and a happy and engaged interprofessional staff team!
After ten years at the helm, our current Executive Director is leaving her role to pursue another opportunity. The Board of Directors is seeking another effective and visionary leader who can maintain the clinic’s values-based model and strong staff team while adapting to a changing healthcare landscape. The ideal candidate will be passionate about advancing the clinic’s values through care delivery and in the broader reproductive health sector.
The clinic is a registered non-profit organization and has an annual operating budget of $1.6 million. There is a team of approximately 12 permanent staff and 12 relief staff, with a regular rotation of physicians. The management team includes the Executive Director, the Clinic Manager, and the Medical Director.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership to ensure effective day to day management of service delivery systems, programming, financial, personnel and public relations at Choice in Health Clinic (CIHC). The Executive Director ensures that all such systems comply with the statement of values, clinic purpose, strategic plan, objectives and policies of the organization as well as external regulatory and accreditation bodies (including the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, and the National Abortion Federation). The Executive Director works with the Board of Directors to identify and manage risks, build organizational strategies, and fulfil the organization's mission of providing safe and accessible abortion care. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Provide overall leadership for the planning, development and implementation of clinic services in accordance with the philosophy, general principles, service and education objectives of CIHC.
- Develop and apply risk management strategies across financial, human resources, legal and clinical spheres.
- Develop and manage the financial resources of CIHC in compliance with internal policies and legal requirements by developing the annual budget, monitoring financial records, overseeing the administration of benefits, ensuring that expenditures conform with the approved budget, and seeking and obtaining additional resources as needed.
- Ensure compliance with the laws and regulations governing the organization’s financial, human resources, corporate and other affairs.
- Work with the Quality Advisor/Medical Director to ensure quality of clinical care and compliance with the Out of Hospital Premises Inspection Program, Independant Health Facilities Act (or its successor) and the National Abortion Federation.
- Maintain adequate levels of staff to meet service needs.
- Serve as the clinic’s Privacy Officer.
- Serve as the formal liaison and contact person for community organizations, agencies, professionals, government officials and the media.
- As the key contact with the Ministry of Health, contribute to the knowledge base of the Ministry of Health through consultations and accurate responses to requests.
- Ensure that appropriate and accurate statistics on service activities are maintained as requested by the Ministry of Health and other applicable organizations.
- In tandem with the Board of Directors, promote optimum level and quality of service delivery by developing and implementing a short and long-range strategic plan for CIHC. Assist and support the Board of Directors by providing information, resources and recommendations to facilitate decision making.
- Identify areas where policies and/or procedures are required and develop such policies and procedures for recommendation and approval by the Board of Directors.
- Maintain and develop competence for self and staff to ensure quality assurance through appropriate continuing education methods (i.e. peer interaction, literature, conferences, courses, educational leave).
- Continually evaluate the external landscape to identify trends or developments that could impact clinic direction or sustainability and implement responses.
- Attend National Abortion Federation (NAF) conferences as the representative of the clinic, as needed.
- Ensure the security of clinic staff and clients and other visitors by maintaining an adequate security system and protocols for its use, monitoring anti-choice activity and responding appropriately, as well as acting as liaison with law enforcement and justice officials.
- Solid pro-choice philosophy and understanding of reproductive justice.
- Minimum five years’ senior/executive level experience in health or social services; Executive Director experience is preferred, although senior management experience in a large non-profit context will be considered.
- Demonstrated progressive management style, leadership abilities and decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and risk management skills.
- Solid capacity to manage and grow a positive organizational culture.
- Proven ability to lead a values-driven organization and align staff and services to those values.
- Knowledge and application of change management theories.
- Demonstrated understanding of equity issues and commitment to working within an anti-oppression framework.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care. Knowledge of the current healthcare and abortion-service landscapes is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in service development, delivery, and evaluation, ideally in a healthcare setting.
- A successful history of budget negotiation and management, program administration and financial development.
- Clear, effective and diplomatic communication and interpersonal skills, including a proven ability to effectively manage conflict and have difficult conversations when necessary.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to create a vision that inspires others to action.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with other community-based organizations, a board of directors, and government agencies.
- Sound knowledge and application of human resource management and legal frameworks.
- Master’s level degree from a recognized university in a related field or a combination of study and significant senior management experience in a related setting.
HOURS: 37.5 hours/week (including some evenings and Saturdays)
SALARY: $93,000 to $97,000 plus competitive benefits
Choice in Health Clinic strongly encourages applications from members of equity-seeking groups.
Please let us know if you require accommodation during any stage of the hiring process.
All applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (no fax or phone inquiries please).
Email your resume with a cover letter describing your relevant experience and include a statement describing your pro-choice philosophy as it relates to abortion and reproductive justice; applications without this requirement will not be reviewed. Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
Deadline: September 25, 2019 at 5 pm
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.