Job Title: Director of Addictions and Mental Health
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Status: Full Time Permanent
We are currently receiving applications for a Full Time Permanent Director of Addictions and Mental Health position here at Rideauwood.
PURPOSE: The Director of Addictions and Mental Health will lead and take an active role in the following areas: clinical management, financial management and administration, communication and community partnerships/ development and human resource management, quality improvement and decision support. The Director will also oversee the ongoing development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of agency programs based on client centered, evidence based best practices. The Director will be responsible for the direct supervision of all clinical managers and oversee the ongoing day to day clinical operations. The Director will play a critical role in partnering with the Executive Director and Board of Directors in strategic decision making and operations.
Direct and supervise Clinical staff to ensure effective implementation of agency’s mission, goals, objectives and target outcomes, clearly communicate performance expectations and responsibilities Provide ongoing coaching and training to create an atmosphere of innovative thinking and open communication.
- Work with community partners to achieve agency/client objectives and maintain a seamless integrated service system providing a continuum of services and programs to address a broad range of client needs across the lifespan and to ensure best use of resources.
- Support the team in achieving individual client goals and overall agency goals/targets within risk management principles based on doing no harm to a client.
- Maintain staff compliance to workload measures as determined by agency standards and funder requirements and review of same on a regular basis with the Executive Director and the Management Team.
- Model Recovery and Best Practices for staff and provide ongoing individual and group meetings to facilitate cooperative learning experiences, maintain high performance standards for staff.
- Oversees the resolution of complaints and works with Managers and the Executive Director when appropriate to resolve complaints.
Communication and Community Partners/Public Relations
- Work closely with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Promote and foster community relationship building.
- Liaise with community partners to facilitate a systems approach to client care.
- Promote and foster relationship building in support of agency integration and coordination of all services affecting client service based on the principles of working within a client focused system, circle of care providers.
Financial Management and Administration
- Work with Finance and Quality Improvement, to analyze and present funder reports in an accurate and timely manner; collate utilization reporting materials, and manage project/program and research and administrative activities.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the financial status of programs operations; work closely with the finance department in order to receive and provide timely and current information.
- Oversee and lead the annual service provider renewal planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director; administer and review all service plans and budgets; monitor and do projections for program budgets, recommend adjustments as necessary and keep senior leadership team and the Board of Directors abreast of the organization’s activity status.
- In collaboration with the Management team and the active participation of the Finance department and the Executive Director develop and maintain a balanced operational budget.
- Update and implement all necessary business and clinical policies and practices.
- Oversee the development and implementation of IT projects and initiatives.
- Provide Project Management services as needed to resolve significant issues with the Information Systems (IS) and ensure the overall success in the development of IT.
- Participate in Quality Improvement and Risk Management.
- Act as a resource to the Board of Directors. Effectively communicate and present the critical business and clinical matters to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the Quality Improvement Manager to develop the data to support new funding requests.
Human Resources Management
- Consults with Human Resources/Executive Director on significant human resource issues.
- Collaborates with HR in drafting and revising job descriptions before approving them together with the Executive Director.
- Strategic involvement in the recruitment and hiring of staff responsible specifically under this position and in general as required for other positions in the agency.
- Responsible to maintain the proper staffing levels on the clinical team, scheduling/coverage to adequately meet program objectives and client needs to ensure services are accessible in a timely manner as per determined industry and agency standards.
- Coach clinical managers to ensure employees maintain compliance.
- Conduct and monitor performance reviews for clinical staff and students that report to the Director and provide final sign off on all performance reviews within the clinical team
- Be available for staff consultations on a regular basis and /or as a required to address issues as they arise along in addition to annual performance reviews. Observe and review staff performance of a regular basis using means such as regular audits of progress notes, documentation compliance, job/client outcomes, interaction with peers, clients etc.
- Share emergency coverage with management.
- Identify training needs and approve professional development including expenditures and scheduling for the Clinical Team.
- Understand and contribute to the implementation of agency policies and procedures based on internal and external requirements, contracts, laws etc.
Assist with the overall functioning of the agency through participation on the Management Team
- Participate in Management Team meetings and processes with ongoing communication, keeping team members and the Executive Director informed to ensure smooth organizational operations, client coordination, ongoing program development, community partnerships, integration opportunities etc.
- Participate in ongoing training opportunities to remain informed and current to best practices and trends.
Monthly reports to the Executive Director.
- Maintain and review agency waitlists on a monthly basis with the Executive Director.
- Manage and review client service data at a minimum on a quarterly basis or as required to meet funding/budgetary/contract reporting requirements.
- Immediately report all crisis situations to the Executive Director or as per procedure protocols.
Other Duties: As assigned
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Position requires excellent organizational skills and flexibility to meet competing pressures.
- High level of independent decision making ability is required
- The ideal candidate has had the experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data and reporting for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with other professionals who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting, reporting and software.
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication that align with the mission and values of Rideauwood
Education and Skills Qualifications
Master’s level degree in Social Work, Counselling, Nursing, Health Administration, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of community mental health /addictions experience and 5 years of continuous progressive management experience.
- Must have a sound theoretical understanding of models specific to the Addictions and Mental Health sector, preferably experienced in providing Motivational Interviewing, Cognitive behavioural Therapy, Dialectical behaviour therapy, Solution focused, Interpersonal group therapy, trauma informed practices and concurrent disorders.
- Have advanced experience of the 12 core functions of addictions counselling,
- Advanced understanding of the Youth Adult and Family Community Health Care Model and demonstrated ability of working with and developing community partnerships to best develop these programs.
- Have excellent organizational skills and have the ability to focus on multiple active projects.
- Good people management skills to motivate a performing team with the ability to identify opportunities and to add consultative value to integrate team intervention planning process
French, spoken and written
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s license.
- Must have excellent computer skills.
- Must be prepared to be deal with after hour emergency calls on an as need basis.
- Must have the stamina to deal with the pressures of working within a busy work environment, be organized and flexible and be able to make decisions quickly.
Legislation, Policies, Procedures & Guidelines – compliance as per:
- Applicable laws and legislation.
- Ministry standards and applicable legislative requirements.
- Rideauwood program standards, policies and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of PHIPA, ethical and practice standards recommended by respective professional designation/organizations.
Job Type: Full-time