Position Title: Chief Returning Officer (CRO)
Organization: Scarborough Campus Students' Union (SCSU)
Reporting to: Board of Directors
Position Type: Honorarium
Remuneration: $3750 Spring Elections
Duration: January 14 2019 - March 2019
Expected Start Date: Monday 14th January, 2019 at 9am
Requirement: Must NOT be a student at University of Toronto Scarborough
Positions Available: 1
The Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) is the not-for-profit organization that represents all full-time and part-time undergraduate students at the University of Toronto Scarborough and provides to its members a broad range of advocacy, services and events. The Student Centre is operated by the SCSU and serves as the central hub for student life/services on the UTSC campus.
Recognizing that the CRO’s functions embrace a broad range of roles and responsibilities, it is important to note that not all functions are contained within this posting, and the position itself will be ever-changing and adaptive. Nevertheless, specific roles and responsibilities allocated to this position include, but are not limited to the following:
**Please note that the successful applicants may not be a member of the SCSU.**
- Serve as the Chair on the Elections Committee
- Make all rulings on all matters pertaining to the elections, notwithstanding any rulings made by the Elections Appeals Committee
- Adjudicate and enforce the election bylaws, and policies.
- Coordinate the Deputy Returning Officers in their duties.
- Oversee the organization and operations of the Executive and Director Elections and if needed, run-off elections in the case of a tie, as well as oversee any referendum.
- Publicize the elections and referendum and all related events pertaining to the elections and referendum both in the media and in terms of posting
- Coordinate the candidates; organize and conduct the All-Candidates Meeting and the Election Forum.
- Responsible for maintaining an email account and phone number (with voice-mail) for the purposes of being contacted on issues related to the election.
- Keep regular office hours during the week, and ensure the hours are publicized to all students.
- Acquire a list of voters in consultation with The Office of Student Affairs & Services and the registrars office
- Retain the polling clerks and ensure that all polling clerks are properly trained.
- Draft a polling schedule prior to the onset of campaigning, and maintain full staffing during polling hours.
- Tally the ballots at the end of the elections and referendum in compliance to the SCSU Elections Procedures Code.
- Ensure the compliance of all Constitutions, By-laws, and Policies with regards to the elections as well as for any necessary Referendum/Plebiscites that may occur. Additional compensation will be provided in administering any Referendum/Plebiscite.
- Submit and present a detailed report to the SCSU Board of Directors following the elections and referendum.
- Previous experience as a Chief Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer.
- Familiarity with the SCSU Elections Procedures Code is an asset.
- Event and logistics planning.
- Being able to lead a group, delegate tasks, and work as part of an entire team.
- Self motivated, able to meet time sensitive deadlines and to work with minimal supervision.
- Applicants should be impartial (i.e. you are not a candidate in the current elections; you do not take any sides in the referendum or the elections).
- Highly motivated and dedicated individual that is enthusiastic about the elections process at UTSC.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and pressured environment.
- Highly organized, and able to meet demands on time.
- Must not currently have a direct role with the Scarborough Campus Students' Union.
For more information about SCSU, please visit our website at http://www.scsu.ca/
PLEASE NOTE: SCSU is an independently incorporated organization working within the University of Toronto community. This position is NOT a University of Toronto staff position.
Interested candidates should send their résumé, cover letter, and application form to email@example.com
This position will be open until filled.
We thank all who apply, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.