About Bird Studies Canada:
Bird Studies Canada is the country’s only non-governmental charitable organization focussed entirely on research, awareness and conservation of Canada’s wild birds and their habitats. Based in Port Rowan, Ontario, on the shores of Lake Erie at Long Point, we are located in one of Canada's most important and internationally recognized natural areas and migratory bird corridor.
The VP, Finance & Administration and Chief Financial Officer (VP & CFO) is responsible for the effective management of all financial, accounting, human resource management and facility operations at Bird Studies Canada. These functions include banking, supervising general accounting, administering inter-fund transactions, supervising of monthly payroll, ensuring all HR practices fall within government and board policies, developing and implementing HR policies, maintaining capital asset records, preparing regular financial statements, leading in development and management of BSC's budgets, monitoring cash flow needs, tracking income and expenses against budget, supervising finance and administration staff, and following all policies and procedures established by the President and Board of Directors.
The VP & CFO reports to the President. The Assistant Controller, the Accounting and Facilities Administrator and the Operations Manager are direct reports. The VP & CFO works closely with the President, the Vice-President, Conservation and Science, the Vice-President, Public Support, and other senior staff with budget responsibility. Externally, the VP & CFO liaises with auditors, banking officials, investment council, lawyers, vendors, and funding agencies.
Applicants should have:
- a university degree or college diploma in business, with a focus on accounting and finance;
- a professional accounting designation;
- excellent verbal and written communications skills, with French-language ability desirable;
- a high level of attention to detail;
- excellent interpersonal skills and experience supervising staff;
- demonstrated experience in managing large, high volume budgets and accounting systems;
- strong computer software application skills are required, with specific expertise using Sage 50, Excel, and Word (experience with Raiser's Edge is an asset).
Job Type: Full-time