Our Place Peel is a non-profit charitable organization that is focused on providing shelter and outreach programs for homeless and disadvantaged youth in the Region of Peel. Our Vision is that “All youth have a place to call home”
“Empowering youth through prevention, intervention and support in accessing safe and sustainable housing” acknowledges the continuum of leading practice programs that need to be in place to be effective in our work.
We are searching for an energetic, enthusiastic and highly motivated Youth Worker (Evenings) that will work out of the Emergency Youth Shelter located in Mississauga. This is a fulltime 40 hours per week position. Shifts run evenings from 3:30pm – 11:30pm.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Provide a positive, supportive environment to youth coming to the shelter and ensures the overall safety and security of the residents
- Provide supervision, support and/or crisis counseling to residents living at the shelter
- Able to address infractions directly with residents in a manner to accomplish positive behavioral change
- Maintains positive and open communication with the staff team
- Support the residents case planning that involves the development and actualization of a plan to successfully transition to longer term housing
- When able, attend regular team meetings to discuss the youth's case plans
- Complete documentation of shift activities and incidents in appropriate logs and client records
- Responsible for entering client data for monthly, quarterly and annual funding reports
- Administrative tasks as required
- Conducts security and maintenance checks regularly on shift
- Responsible for upkeep and reporting deficiencies to management
- Responsible for responding to calls from youth and/or community members who are after care clients in need of support (I.e.) Home for Good, Transitional Program etc.
- Performs daily cleaning of high traffic areas including kitchen, bathrooms, common areas, hallways and offices
- Weekly clean-out of refrigerators/ freezers and food storage in preparation for food delivery
- Daily organizing, maintenance and cleaning of food storage areas as needed
- Change all garbage/waste bin, replenish soap dispensers/ cleaning products and restock toilet paper/ hand towels, etc.
- Prepares and cooks meals for next day, based on menu’s schedule
- Uphold the expectations of food handlers and nutritional requirements for food preparation
- Oversee the household laundry
- Other duties as assigned
- 2 years’ work experience and Child and Youth Worker Diploma or equivalent
- Experience working with youth and knowledge of homelessness, mental health, addictions and poverty issues
- First Aid, CPI/ UMAB, WHMIS and Food Handling Certification
- Knowledge of resources within the Region of Peel, specifically for youth
- Effective problem solving, conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
How to Apply?
If you are a compassionate, highly motivated and results-oriented individual, with a passion to support youth, please submit your cover letter and resume by clicking ‘apply now’. We thank all applicants for their interest in Our Place Peel. Only qualified candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Our Place Peel is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for disabilities will be provided to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process upon request.
This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Application Deadline: July 26, 2019