Youth Worker Employment Services
1 Year Contract
The chosen candidate will be responsible for direct implementation of Covenant House philosophy, mission statement and policies. As a member of the support services team, you will establish relationships with youth to provide counselling and case management support.
- Assessing youth employability skills/barriers, completing written reports, and implementing plans with youth to remove/reduce barriers
- Planning with youth for future career related opportunities including education, full and part time work and skills training
- Researching, designing and facilitating daily programing for street involved youth that incorporates relevant life skills, community engagement and employability skills, group based and 1:1
- Assisting youth to participate in activities and work collaboratively with others to increase social skills and engagement
- Developing individualized plans for youth based on their level of functioning that will support them in meeting their goals
- Assisting youth with job search techniques; resume preparation and maintenance; completing application forms; mock job interviews; job retention skills; personal budgeting; problem solving and career planning;
- Managing the day to day behavioural and emotional needs of youth and respond effectively to crisis situations
- Referring youth to internal and external programs as appropriate
- Developing and maintaining relationships with other organizations to enhance resources available to youth
- Liaising with employers to locate appropriate job referrals for youth
- Recruiting and arranging for guest speakers and volunteers present to the youth
- Populating activity calendars on a monthly basis to advertise programming
- Communicating with the case management teams regarding attendance, engagement, progress and any concerns for each youth
- Supervising and maintaining the environment to ensure safety
- Gathering and preparing statistics for monthly Vocational Resources report.
- Work as part of a team to ensure best service delivery practices that is meeting the needs of the youth we serve;
- Post-Secondary education in Career/Employment Counselling or related field with 2 years experience working with marginalized youth
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication and computer skills using Word, Excel, internet and e-mail
- Familiarity with GTA community agencies and services for marginalized youth
- Life Skills Coach training and Job Development experience are assets
- Ability to work independently; have flexible work hours including some evening hours as required
- Ability to make independent judgements and decisions and be a team player
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume directly to Human Resources at email@example.com on or before Thursday March 21, 2019.
We thank all applicants however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, Covenant House is committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who represent diverse communities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Covenant House Policies on Accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of Covenant House recruitment process.