The Georgian Bay Association (GBA) is an umbrella organization for 19 community associations along the east and north shores of Georgian Bay representing ~3,000 families. We have been advocating on behalf of our land-owning members for over 100 years. Our mandate is to work with our water-based communities and other stakeholders to ensure the careful stewardship of the greater Georgian Bay environment.
GBA has a Board comprised of 23 volunteer directors drawn from our member associations. Eleven active and engaged committees handle a wide variety of issues. Support for the Executive Director, the Executive Committee and the Committee Chairs is now being sought as set out in the job description below. We believe this position offers the right candidate an interesting and rewarding opportunity to join our team and help to protect Georgian Bay. Please refer to http://georgianbay.ca/ for more information about GBA and our activities.
Communications and Executive Services Coordinator
Reports to Executive Director (ED)
Employment Type: Hourly rate, part-time contract employment.
- Home or own office.
- A work location in a Toronto advertising agency office (Bloor West – near Lansdowne Subway) is available if preferred.
Skills & Experience
This is a list of the skills required, some of which can be learnt on the job. Flexibility and an ability to acquire/develop new skills will be important:
- Self-starter with proven ability to operate in a flexible work environment under limited supervision, and to manage time and tasks in an effective manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including preparation of minutes and briefing notes, content for website and social media, and drafting of documents.
- Computer competency with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Competency with website and social media management.
- Connection with the Georgian Bay community and / or knowledge of Georgian Bay and its environment would be helpful.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Communications & Marketing – Over 50% of the role
- Regular monitoring of GBA website, Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram content, plus other social media channels added in future, to ensure content is current and correct.
- Work with and assist the Communications Committee, Website Manager, Social Media Manager, ED, Committee Chairs and Executive Committee to create and disseminate appropriate website & social media content, and communications & marketing materials, as required.
- Maintain current database of contacts that are relevant to GBA’s interests, including key elected officials, and staff of Municipalities, Provincial Government Departments, Federal Government Departments, as well as First Nations, various NGOs, the GB4*, our Member Associations and targeted new associations.
* GB4 = Georgian Bay Association, and 3 charities: Georgian Bay Forever, Georgian Bay Biosphere Reserve and Georgian Bay Land Trust.
Meetings and Minutes
- Arrange, attend and prepare minutes of meetings and conference calls, as required by, and at the direction of, the ED. (NOTE – Board Meetings are usually held on the second Tuesday of each month in North Toronto from 5:30 p.m. until 8:30, except for July and August – exact dates subject to change.)
- Circulate minutes for comment, prepare and distribute final minutes.
- Secure meeting rooms and make all necessary arrangements.
- Obtain up to date mailing lists from member associations.
- Assemble full mailing list and prepare the schedules for both the distribution service provider and member association mailing cost recovery.
- Prepare, submit, and follow up for payment of invoices issued by GBA for association dues, UPDATE advertising, mailing cost recovery, and any other Accounts Receivable.
- Process invoices received by GBA for appropriate approval and submission to the bookkeeper for payment.
- Work with the bookkeeper and the ED to ensure the smooth operation of the financial management of GBA.
- Order promotional and other give-away items.
- Create business cards and meeting cards as required.
- Create, manage and maintain any schedules or information databases required by the ED.
- Provide other assistance to the ED as may be required from time to time.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your résumé and cover letter indicating “Communications and Executive Services Coordinator” in the subject line to:
Rupert Kindersley, Executive Director, Georgian Bay Association
The deadline for applications is April 30, 2019. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.