START DATE: Immediately. Don't wait for the application deadline, we will hire the first qualified candidate.
The Gastrointestinal Society (www.badgut.org) is a registered Canadian charity committed to improving the lives of those who have gastrointestinal and liver conditions, supporting research, advocating for appropriate patient access to health care, and promoting gastrointestinal and liver health.
Reporting to the CEO, the Outreach Coordinator provides organizational support for the Society’s educational programs, outreach initiatives, and fundraising projects. This is a full-time position (35 hours/week), 9 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday in Vancouver, with occasional evening and weekend work. We have a competitive benefit package and offer further incentives for long-term employees. Salary will be based on the individual’s qualifications and level of experience, but is in the $41,000-$46,000 range.
We are a small but very dynamic and highly efficient office, searching for a bright, friendly, and hardworking kindred addition to our team. As we have varied programs throughout the year and over time, all employees of the Society undertake other duties as needed and special projects as assigned.
- as directed by the CEO, increases the visibility and understanding of the work of the Society
- works from the existing strategic, resource development, marketing, and communications plans to professionally implement tactics
- supports the Society’s conferences, lectures, and special events
- produces and distributes ongoing communication pieces, including direct mail letters, donor stewardship, grant applications, social media copy, and promotional materials
- creates new initiatives to increase public awareness and grow revenue
- assists CEO with directed fundraising initiatives
- represents the Society at relevant trade fairs, conferences, and public awareness events
- researches potential funders and assists with applications
- sources gifts-in-kind for special events and social media
- builds collaborations and pursues general recruitment within the community
- acquires a good understanding of the issues the patients who we serve face in their lives
- consistently meets target deadlines for various projects and requests as assigned by CEO
- effectively works with the team to provide the best information to all constituents within fundraising portfolio
- provides excellent customer service to all constituents, donors, and fundraisers to ensure a great experience
- assists with the research, writing, and editing of articles for the Inside Tract® newsletter
- completes any other duties as assigned
- some travel is required
Required Competencies and Skills
- completion of related post-secondary education and three or more years’ office experience, preferably in a Canadian charity or non-profit organization;or equivalent combination of education and experience
- superior written communications skills (provide examples if possible)
- proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a team
- excellent organizational and time management skills
- strong speaking skills; the Outreach Coordinator is required to answer phones and give occasional public talks about our Society
- excellent command of Microsoft Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Windows, etc.)
- demonstrated success in creating and executing innovative community fundraising events
- self-starter who is always looking/open to improving own skills and knowledge
- strong work ethic with willingness to go above and beyond to reach goals in the charity environment
- available to attend occasional evening and weekend community events and meetings
- bilingualism (written & oral) in both official languages will give an applicant higher priority
- drivers licence and access to a vehicle
This position will remain open until filled. If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter and a resume as soon as possible. No phone calls please. This is a scent-free office.
The GI Society thanks all applicants for their submissions; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.