Job Title: Kitchen Programs Coordinator
Report to: Executive Director
Start Date: Immediately
- Do you have a deeply held belief that hunger and poverty should just not exist in Canada?
- Are you an advocate about the power of food to feed, nourish, heal, connect and grow individuals families and communities?
- Are you passionate about ensuring everyone has equitable access to good food and a bright future?
- Will you be a springboard to success for families in our vulnerable communities?
- Are you great at delivering front lines programming to clients, in partnership with staff and volunteers?
- Have you created, coordinated, funded and delivered high impact programming aligned with strategic goals?
- Have you ever dreamed of running your own busy kitchen with all the pressures, pleasures, yummy food, learning, experimentation and (yes even) the dirty dishes that go along with it?
If you answered an emphatic YES to all these questions, then Seva Food Bank is the place for you.
Seva Food Bank is seeking an experienced leader to serve as our Kitchen Programs Coordinator. As the lead of all kitchen programming you will develop and manage all aspects of the programs centred around the Seva Community Teaching Kitchen, according to the strategic direction set by the Executive Director, who in turn reports to the Board of Directors. Seva is a young, dynamic organization with a team to committed continuous growth, innovation, impact and community building. Each month, we provide safe, nutritious and culturally-appropriate food to over 900 low-income families of all backgrounds living in Mississauga. Our mandate is to coordinate and deliver programs that address the food needs of their clients and support them in their journey to self-reliance by addressing the root causes and consequences of hunger. Refer to our mission, vision and strategy at www.sevafoodbank.com.
In this leadership position, you will play a crucial role in the success of Seva Food Bank by creatively leveraging partnerships and resources to create and deliver highly impactful programs. If you are a passionate team player, strategic planner and feel an affinity with our mission, vision and strategy, this role is likely a good fit for you.
This position's purpose is to create, implement and grow food related teaching programs for our clients in line with Seva’s strategic goals. You will:
- Work with Seva Kitchen Launch Task Force to further develop and implement Seva’s Teaching Kitchen Strategy
- Develop and execute standard procedures for day-to-day operations of kitchen and related logistics including usage, training, safety, cleaning, maintenance and managing supplies.
- Train, supervise and manage co-op and practicum students working on kitchen programming.
- In addition to coordinating programs lead by others, also lead programs when required.
- Actively collaborate with a supportive and inclusive staff and volunteer team to work together efficiently, effectively and respectfully.
- Manage the kitchen programs budget, maintain up to date working documents and submit regular program reports to fulfill internal/external requirements. Monitor program costs and expenses and report to ED on any variances and exemption requests.
- Plan and execute a calendar of one-time and regularly scheduled kitchen-centred programs, events, workshops and fundraisers.
- Ensure that food preparation, storage and service areas are maintained according to Public Health Department and Health and Safety Standards.
- Support the submission of relevant grant applications and follow up reporting.
- Lead outreach to relevant community partners to develop and new kitchen programming partnerships.
- Market and promote programs to relevant partners and communities, especially new or specialized programs.
- Establish and manage relationships with effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders, including clients, volunteers and partners.
- University or college education in chef training, food or beverage programming or related / equivalent education, training and/or professional experience/project management
- Patience, creativity, flexibility, compassion and sensitivity for vulnerable populations.
- Experience working with food programs that serve low-income individuals is an asset.
- Experience managing staff or volunteers in a not-for-profit setting.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience managing program budgets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in fast-paced, not-for-profit environment.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.).
- Ability to work flexible hours and some weekend work is required.
- Food Handler Trainer Certificate is essential.
- Must hold a valid Ontario driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
- Police check will be required.
- CPR training is an asset.
Seva Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
The last day to apply for this role is before 11:59pm on Monday 01 July 2019. Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing an interest in this position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE: https://secure.collage.co/jobs/sevafoodbank/11338