Development and Communications Officer
22.5 hours/week: $24.56 per hour
The Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre (ORCC) is a feminist, non-profit, charitable organization that provides crisis response, counselling, advocacy, and accompaniment to survivors of sexual violence in all its forms. ORCC also provides public education, organizational training, and public policy input on issues of sexual violence. We support cis and trans women, trans men, two-spirit and gender non-conforming survivors aged 16 and over. We have served survivors in our community since our inception in 1974, as the third Rape Crisis Centre in Canada. To learn more about our work, please visit our website at www.orcc.net.
Our Development & Communications Officer leads ORCC’s funding activities and assists with communication. Under the direction of the Executive Director (ED) and the Public Education and Communications Coordinator, the primary responsibilities of the role are to build ORCCs funding and donor bases; build the financial capacity of the centre; assist external communications development for a range of audiences; and demonstrate an active commitment to the elimination of sexual and gender-based violence through public messaging, special projects, and events.
The successful applicant will be a high energy, dynamic feminist of diverse experience with superior interpersonal and communications skills. They will be comfortable communicating with a wide range of audiences, including individual donors, funders (grant, foundation, government, etc.), groups, partners, allies, and volunteers, and they will demonstrate proficient knowledge in CRA regulations, non-profit funding, and the ability to work with fundraising software. Applicants with large-scale event planning, 3rd party fundraising, and monthly donor program development experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Lead and implement the centre’s fundraising initiatives, including partnerships, donors, & fund development, as well as additional fundraising activities
- Manage all aspects of database software, donor management, CRM oversight, including Canada Helps, iATS, and individual donor databases
- Promote, facilitate, & support 3rd party fundraising in the Ottawa community
- Organize and execute ORCC's Annual ‘Break the Cycle’ Spin-A-Thon fundraising event
- Advise the ED on updates to CRA donation guidelines and assist in the development and maintenance of fundraising policy
- Develop and maintain donor stewardship, development, prospecting, and engagement activities
- Develop fundraising materials that steward & expand ORCC’s donor base & funder support
- Assist the ED & the Public Education and Communications Coordinator in responding to media and communications requests
- Assist Public Education and Communications Coordinator in developing & executing a social media plan and coverage, including:
- Tracking media on sexual violence and related issues
- Day-to-day monitoring, management, & update of ORCCs web & social media systems (Facebook, Twitter, website, etc.)
- Provide public presentations upon request where funding opportunities may be implicated
- Respond to individual requests for information on sexual violence issues
- Produce and distribute the centre`s quarterly e-newsletter & additional information
- Recruit and oversee fundraising committee volunteers
- As required based on centre need, support the Executive Director and the Public Education and Communications Coordinator in identifying and applying for grant funding
- Work collaboratively with the Finance Coordinator to develop and maintain accurate fundraising systems/reconciliations, etc.
- Issue tax receipts upon receiving donations
- Contribute to the upkeep of the centre
- Extensive knowledge of all forms of sexual violence and its impacts from a feminist, intersectional, anti-racist/anti-oppression lens. Priority will be given to those with demonstrated prior commitment and activities supporting a grassroots feminist perspective on sexual violence
- Education and/or equivalent employment experience in fundraising, communications, donor management/stewardship, and event planning
- Demonstrated experience initiating and implementing successful funding programs (planned giving, major gifts, direct mail, events, etc.)
- Possess the following work or community experience: knowledge of CRA donation guidelines; non-profit/charitable organization funding, ability to work with fundraising software; the production and distribution of fundraising communications and experience in the management of social media
- Proficient use of computer systems (Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Strong research, writing, & communication skills
- Experience with Blackbaud and/or other CRM software an asset
- Able to work evenings and weekends when required
- Preference will be given to those who have experience with feminist frontline centres, community engagement, & social justice activities
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV, and brief writing sample. ORCC is an equal opportunity employer and we pride ourselves on being inclusive and meeting our obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code. We welcome applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds. If any job candidate requires an accommodation in order to participate in this recruitment process, please feel free to indicate your needs via a separate uploaded document.
Start Date: as soon as possible