Full Time Temporary 18 months (with the potential to become permanent)
Do you have experience developing, managing and implementing complex projects and programs? Have your impressive inter-personal skills helped build excellent teams and strong stakeholder relationships? Do you thrive in environments that are innovating and changing? If so, consider bringing your talents to the Nursing Community Assessment Service (NCAS)!
NCAS is looking for a hands-on Senior Manager, Program Development to provide leadership and oversight to multiple, complex initiatives including: business case development, budgeting and planning; site assessment, budgeting and planning; virtualizing the current assessment process; and exploring opportunities to further develop and implement this exciting, technologically-innovative assessment process nationally and abroad. The SMPD also plays a critical role in enhancing current NCAS activities by identifying opportunities for efficiency, rigour and integration among existing projects, systems and approaches, and by providing leadership and direction to the team.
WHO WE ARE
The Nursing Community Assessment Service is a program within the BC College of Nursing Professionals. BCCNP is a regulatory college empowered under the Health Professions Act to regulate the practice of all licensed practical nurses, registered nurses, registered psychiatric nurses and nurse practitioners in BC.
BCCNP launched NCAS in January 2017 as a service for assessing the competencies of nurses and health care aides seeking licensure in BC. This unique and high-stakes assessment provides a consistent, rigorous and defensible approach to determining the extent to which potential registrants possess the competencies required to enter practice safely. The NCAS assessment comprises a computer-based test that is administered at testing sites all over the world, as well as a simulation-lab and oral assessment, both delivered at a nursing simulation lab in BC.
NCAS was developed and operates as a unique program within BCCNP. As a member of our small, creative and talented team, you can expect to be treated in a respectful and professional manner. While your workday will be busy, the college supports our staff in achieving a healthy work-life balance.
Reporting to the NCAS Director, the Senior Manager, Program Development works closely with the Director, NCAS to realize the vision and strategy for the NCAS program. They provide oversight to a range of ongoing activities including the development of examination content, research and data analytics, and communications and educational outreach, while managing the team as described below. In addition, the SMPD will launch and implement a new cross-professional, cross-border project aimed at developing and piloting a prototype of a virtualized competency assessment.
- Lead Psychometrician and Psychometrician
- Content Developer
- Office Services Coordinator
- Other project-related staff
A. Project Direction and Oversight
- Directs, integrates and evaluates the activities of multiple, major project operations; ensures that project efforts are generally cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting NCAS’ mission, goals, and strategic plan
- Identifies the need for, and develops, practices, policies, strategies, and operating objectives that enhance the effective implementation of projects, and strengthens integration of work
- Develops tracking and evaluation tools to support the accomplishment of established project goals and objectives
- Manages, mentors and provides oversight to a small team of professional staff with distinct project management responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Director, builds and coordinates strategic and operational relationships with a range of stakeholders including government, educational institutions, regulatory bodies, health authorities, service providers and nursing professionals
- Collaborates with the NCAS Director to establish program goals and priorities, and to identify resource solutions to meet project and institutional needs
- Develops, administers and reports on project plans and budgets, and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses
B. Project Management
- Working closely with the Director, serves as the lead developer and manager of the new NCAS virtual reality assessment initiative, iterating project plans, seeking out partners and investors in the gaming and virtual reality community, and ensuring the project is implemented on time and on budget, while meeting all project objectives
- Develops and evaluates Requests for Proposals, and manages all relationships with project-related suppliers and consultants
- Evaluates and reports on progress towards project plan and budget, and recommends/and or implements changes as appropriate
- Prepares funding proposals and reports
- Identifies and helps secure new projects, including new clients and possible funders
C. General NCAS responsibilities
- The Senior Manager contributes to the day-to-day activities of NCAS, liaising with assessment takers, supporting all projects and programs, contributing to organizational planning processes, and furthering NCAS’ spirit of innovation.
Minimum Job Requirements
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following:
- Masters degree in public health, business administration, planning, organizational management, measurement, or an equivalent combination of education in a related field plus experience
- Completed project management certification would be an asset
- Minimum of seven years’ experience leading and implementing projects, and effectively assessing and evaluating project opportunities and outcomes
- Minimum seven years of staff management experience that includes performance evaluation, conflict resolution, recruiting, and coaching
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Skill in assessing, developing, adapting and managing operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new projects, practices and strategies
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct, coordinate, and strategically integrate multiple projects at an institutional level
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement short and long-range project and organizational plans and objectives
- Exceptional people management skills – ability to effectively manage, nurture and coach a diverse team of talented, professional staff
- Knowledge and understanding of the Project Management Body of Knowledge, including best practices, tools, programs and technologies to support effective management and evaluation
- Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions
- Skill in business and financial planning and management
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and effective presentation skills to audiences with varied backgrounds
- Knowledge and understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating procedures
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to build and nurture relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders
- An ability to thrive and take initiative in an environment of ambiguity and change;
- Knowledge of developments and trends in use of virtual technologies in education and assessment is a definite asset
- Knowledge of current developments and trends in assessment practices
- Knowledge of the business of regulation, particularly in the area of health care
- Knowledge of nursing
Note: Some travel will be required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please forward your resume and cover letter, indicating where you learned of this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday, January 31st, 2020.
To learn more about our organization, please visit www.ncasbc.ca. Thank you for your interest in the BC College of Nursing Professionals, and the Nursing Community Assessment Service.