Create. Explore. Influence. Shape. Develop creative concepts and solutions for community-based programs in support of marginalized populations.
It is rare to find a role that balances operations and strategic priorities with the compassion required in serving the community through leading programs and initiatives.
Our client, a leading community-based agency in the Toronto area, provides innovative, professional and diverse programming to empower at risk and vulnerable youth and adults to develop the skills they need to reach their full potential.
We are partnering with this dedicated agency in search of a Director of Operations to achieve their vision of building stronger communities.
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior leader who is motivated by growth, with the ability to drive operational success and the passion to truly have an impact on marginalized populations across the province.
The Role Overview:
The Director of Operations position involves leading operations, program development and strategic initiatives, while fostering partnerships with all stakeholders in nurturing growth, allowing the agency to expand their reach and support for continued success.
- Leadership and oversight of all organizational programs
- Support the continual evaluation of programs through evaluation metrics to ensure strategic objectives are achieved; which includes supporting programs in proactively managing risk and opportunity, inclusive of: financial, governance, service delivery, legal and compliance, human resources, information technology/management, stakeholder and public accountability; and collaborate in innovative and integrative solutions to risk management challenges;
- Accountable for all areas of people management for respective program areas and departments, including recruitment, selection, onboarding, performance management and where required, consult with Executive Director, legal counsel, and union officials;
- Responsible for ongoing and formal performance evaluation of direct reports;
- Organizational lead in the management and investigation of serious occurrences (client and staff) to ensure agency liability is mitigated as much as possible;
- Develop proposals, which includes exploring new funding opportunities and building strategic partnerships and community stakeholder relationships for the organization that support resource diversification; design and implement plans to steward existing donors and sustaining key collaborative arrangements with current partners in the public, private and/or non-profit sectors;
- Oversee agency-sponsored events to ensure strategic objectives are met and event is executed seamlessly;
- Work collaboratively with other organizational leaders in supporting and growing the agency’s mission and strategic plan’s priorities;
- Serve on Senior Management Team and active participant of Board of Directors and Board Committees (Program and Fundraising);
- Act on behalf of the Executive Director in their absence as required;
- Act as the signing officer and authority to bind the organization.
- Ten (10) years of related professional experience with five (5) years of senior leadership experience managing and leading staff across various functions, preferably in a Community-Based, Non-Profit Organization;
- Undergraduate or graduate university degree, preferably in Human Services, business administration, social work or related fields;
- Sound understanding, knowledge and/or experience in development, change management, business transformation and growth, revenue generation and strategic and operational communications;
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in Program Evaluation;
- Knowledge and experience in developing social enterprises for non-profit organizations;
- Demonstrated key competencies and experiences related to:
- Strategic service delivery - developing and implementing a results based, client-centred approach to service delivery; planning to tackle challenges and opportunities in the medium to long term by developing and delivering innovative/integrative solutions that consider organizational needs and complexities based on programmatic evaluation metrics
- Professional leadership - modeling decisiveness and high standards by setting ambitious goals and priorities
- Resource development - maximize the level and impact of the organization’s resources, utilizing proven practices to assess options and acting decisively to involve team members in embedding these processes/practices through system improvements; and
- Change influence/commitments - focusing on building acceptance of new ideas through strategic and operational communications and by developing, implementing and leading change management strategies and actions; overcoming any team resistance to change through personal actions and by demonstrating the logic and value of those ideas and actions for others to support and incorporate in the work place.