Daily Bread is looking for a Director of Marketing & Communications to help us in our mission of ending hunger in our city. This position will be integral to one of our strategic priorities of activating our city through the growth of our top of mind awareness.
The Director of Marketing & Communications will strategically lead and oversee the development and execution of marketing and communication plans in support of the organization’s mission.
The person will be accountable for the positioning and marketing of Daily Bread Food Bank’s brand and will be responsible for leading the organization’s Marketing & Communications team.
Through the delivery of leading edge marketing initiatives and practices, this individual will also be a critical agent of change in the development of new marketing, promotion and communications strategies to promote the Daily Bread Food Bank.
The Director of Marketing & Communications will be a member of the senior leadership team and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer while working closely, cross-enterprise with their peers. The Director of Marketing & Communications will develop a high performance team and will motivate and coach others to perform at their highest potential in order to fully achieve Daily Bread’s strategic goals.
Vision, Strategy and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to advance Daily Bread Food Bank’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility and value of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Daily Bread Food Bank leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key stakeholders, such as corporate and government partners.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, working with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external marketing and communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support/lead them.
- Develop all elements of Daily Bread Food Bank’s social businesses, designing and driving Daily Bread Food Bank’s social media strategy and tactics.
- Serve as a marketing and communications subject matter expert.
- Manage relationships with associated vendors and any agency of record relationships.
- Develop and respond to media opportunities; a key element of the brand building and awareness activities of the organization
- Develop the annual department budget with a clear business plan, operational goals, KPI
- Monitor performance to budget for the department and the organization’s marketing spend and report
- Develop brand guidelines and compliance monitoring processes for all DB external communications to strengthen visual identity and consistency of messaging in all materials including collateral for donors, volunteers and the general public.
- Directly oversee development of cross-enterprise communications collateral including but not limited to annual report, newsletters, website and social media.
- Promote a results-oriented culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, people and a commitment to quality.
- Recruit and manage the Marketing and Communications team to support the development and execution of the marketing and communications strategy.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical leadership
- An innovative systems thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Works well within a team as a co-operator and team contributor.
- An excellent and persuasive communicator with an innate ability to respectfully and thoughtfully gather information from others.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive.
- Decisive in making fair and timely decisions on internal and external matters.
- Exceptional judgment, diplomacy and tact, with the ability to anticipate the opportunities and challenges.
Professional Experience & Credentials
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field is required, MBA an asset, or relevant associated experience
- The following certifications/designations would be considered an asset:
- Communication Management Professional (CMP)
- Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP)
- Certified Marketing Management Professional (CMMP)
- Accredited Business Communicator (ABC)
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in leadership roles with management responsibility for comprehensive strategic marketing and communications, media relations, and marketing programs that advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier partners, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve national recognition, with a dossier of demonstrated achievements in managing and strengthening a brand.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of marketing and communications specialists.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Daily Bread Food Bank’s Board of Directors, staff and volunteers.
- Proven ability to operate as an effective, and focused, tactical implementer as well as strategic thinker.
- Possesses superior management skills and an ability to influence, engage, build, mentor and coach a team of marketing and communications specialists as well as strong financial assessment, budgeting and financial monitoring skills.
- Proficient ability to report effectiveness of the marketing efforts undertaken
- Passionate about the eliminating poverty, and food security issues.