Join the largest environmental organization in Canada and become an agent of change!
About the David Suzuki Foundation
We find solutions for living within the limits of nature. Through a combination of sound science and active public engagement, we seek to motivate Canadians to take action on the environmental challenges we collectively face. Our Foundation is an independent charity, supported by over 30,000 donors from across Canada and abroad. With headquarters in Vancouver and offices in Toronto and Montreal, we address issues from coast to coast to coast, in both official languages. With the support of scientists, academics, progressive businesses, governments, non-governmental organizations and tens of thousands of Canadian we aim to achieve this vision: That within a generation Canadians act on the understanding that we are interconnected and interdependent with nature, and with each other.
You can learn more about us at www.davidsuzuki.org
The David Suzuki Foundation hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Position Title: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Terms: Permanent, full-time (4-day week)
Location: Based at our Vancouver Office
Reporting to: Our CEO
Salary: Based on experience
- Are you a talented senior leader looking for that next challenge?
- Are you passionate about saving the planet and leading a team of exceptionally talented, bright, and passionate people working at making a real difference in the world?
- Would you like a chance to lead change in a nationally acclaimed organization in order to support protecting nature’s diversity and the well-being of all life, now and for the future?
About the Role
We are currently looking for a passionate, collaborative, committed change leader COO to join us at our DSF Vancouver Headquarters.
As our COO you’ll work under the direction of our CEO and in partnership with our senior management team as well as our board, on a broad portfolio of organizational priorities.
You’ll be acting as change agent leading our staff to deliver against our strategic goals while working with key internal and external stakeholders to shape the Foundation’s direction.
- You deliver effectively and efficiently on all operational, donor services, program management and a range of support functions, with a particular emphasis on performance management and financial, legal and contractual requirements.
- You engage effectively with a diverse and evolving set of stakeholders including all levels of government, media, other advocacy groups, current and potential donors, private sector, the Canadian people, Indigenous Peoples, management, staff, board and founding family.
- You manage directors and senior managers, provide support to regional and national teams and lead service departments.
- Act as an effective senior management member taking collective responsibility for governance of the organization.
- Implement strategic direction, ensuring management capacity and capability.
- Safeguard values and ensure the organization’s obligations to its key stakeholders are met.
- Develop a high performing team of directors and promote accountability.
- Provide support to all direct reports through objective setting, appraisal and talent management review.
- Lead change through our new strategic plan and set comprehensive goals to improve performance and impact.
Your External Focus:
- Promote theory of change by multiplication of our impact via movement building.
- Manage relationships with partners, donors and vendors.
- Assist in fundraising ventures.
- Participate in expansion activities (fundraising, corporate alliances, etc.).
- Act as a representative of DSF and engage in public speaking and associated media opportunities.
- Challenge conventional approaches and drive change when needed, demonstrating a commitment to creating a learning organizational culture, committed to continuous improvement.
- Engage effectively across the organization to ensure robust processes and management systems are in place to meet financial and activity targets for the current and future years.
- Lead transformational change across regions and teams to enable effective delivery of strategic programs and organizational objectives.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge Required
- An undergraduate or master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- 7 to 10 years’ progressive leadership experience.
- Strong ability to manage a highly complex portfolio and deliver a wide range of objectives within a tight timeframe.
- Financial acumen and a strong analytical mind with knowledge and experience of achieving income generation, diversification of income streams and budget management.
- Proven track record of strong project-management and facilitation skills using project-management systems.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate and present key messages on complex issues clearly, coherently and emotively.
- Extensive experience in effective leadership, strategic planning and change management.
- Proven track record of managing and monitoring performance to meet and exceed organizational objectives.
- Flexible with schedule with availability on weekends, evenings, special events and as per the shifting nature of our industry.
What you bring to the role:
- You are a natural negotiator with the ability to influence at all levels.
- You have experience in the environmental and non-profit sectors.
- You are experienced in leading change with technology.
- Ability to manage time efficiently to focus on organizational priorities, special projects and external activities.
- French language written and verbal skills are highly desired.
What You Get
- Being a part of a team of superstars
- Generous benefit package
- 4-day work week
- Amazing work culture with smart colleagues that care
- A chance to lead change and have an impact on the health of the planet
- An experience working in an organization with a focus on technology
Please submit your cover letter and your resume online and submit your application by going to https://davidsuzuki.org/careers/ . The position will stay open until filled. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
We recognize the importance of a diversified workforce, and we encourage women, First Nations, Inuit and Metis candidates, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities to apply.