December 2, 2019
Administrative Specialist Job Posting
The John Howard Society of Waterloo-Wellington (JHSWW) seeks a high energy, creative, self-motivated individual for the position of permanent full-time (35 hours/week) Administrative Specialist with some schedule flexibility – i.e. evening/weekend work. As part of the Management Team, this position reports to the Executive Director, and works mainly out of the Kitchener site but will also work out of our Guelph and Cambridge sites occasionally, and periodically attend offsite meetings. A driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and insurance are required for the position.
- Work collaboratively with and provide confidential administrative support to the Management Team and the Board of Directors, including assisting with the budgeting process
- Prepare financial and other reports as required for funders, Senior Management, the Board of Directors, the Agency’s Auditor, and statutory requirements (e.g., complete and submit various government reports, including all “Notice of Change” reports to Ministry of Government Services and Canada Revenue Agency pertaining to Board of Directors information and updates)
- Oversee and coordinate the activities of administrative and program support staff across sites (including updating of the Agency’s website and social media, ensuring donor database records are maintained, ensuring donor receipting is done in compliance with CRA requirements, etc.) and ensure administrative and program support coverage is in place across sites, and oversee and coordinate the Agency promotion/fundraising activities of fundraising volunteers
- Oversee annual inventory listing of property at each site
- Submit required documentation for insurance purposes and maintain insurance records
- Supervise, coach, mentor and discipline administrative and support staff, and conduct annual performance and development reviews
- Oversee facilities and grounds, general office, building security, and infrastructure operational support elements (e.g., telephone, copiers) and maintain files on and contracts with vendors and monitor as required including analyzing costs to facilitate comparison and best value, and operational efficiencies
- Prepare facilities and capital grant applications and reports related to such funding
- Oversee Accounts Payable including procurement card reconciliation and costing, and assist the Finance Manager with account entries, account analysis, identifying efficiencies and the annual audit process
- Create and modify documents such as reports, memos, letters and other documents using wording processing, spreadsheet, database and/or other presentation software
- Participate on internal and/or external committees and attend meetings as required
- Maintain minutes for Management Team and other meetings as required
- Oversee and coordinate the implementation of the Agency’s Annual General Meeting and Appreciation Event, and other events
- Administer payroll through Ceridian including deductions, approving time sheets as directed by a program manager, and update software tracking employee vacation and other leaves, and journal entry preparation and payroll ledger administration when needed as back up coverage to the HR Manager and/or Finance Manager
- Serve on the Agency’s Joint Health and Safety Committee as required
- Ensure follow up on facilities and property related health and safety issues including maintaining appropriate documentation
- Other duties as assigned
The following are essential skills, abilities and requirements for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent as determined by John Howard Society of Waterloo-Wellington
- Three years’ relevant experience preferably in a management role
- Excellent project management, report writing, presentation and analytical and organizational skills including time management and planning
- Ability to make efficient and sound decisions for complex issues
- Attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Excellent supervisory, interpersonal and coaching skills including a high level of customer service and confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-sufficient, highly motivated and results-oriented
- Current clearance from a criminal records check. Must be able to meet criminal and other offence/conviction screening criteria necessary for the Agency to maintain its contracts, insurance requirements and charitable status.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office ® including Outlook, Power Point, Excel, Access and Publisher. Experience with accounting software.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, volunteers, suppliers/vendors, community partners, funders, Board of Directors, other stakeholders
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings/weekends) as required, and to travel throughout Waterloo Region and Guelph/Wellington County
- Fluency in French would be considered an asset
The John Howard Society of Waterloo-Wellington offers a competitive remuneration package including benefits and pension.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and detailed résumé in PDF format by 4:30 pm EST on December 16, 2019. The job title must be included in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer. While we thank all applicants, only those invited for an interview will be contacted. If you have a disability and require support during the selection process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are selected for an interview.