Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
This Specialist has a proven record of developing and implementing effective communications and outreach strategies and is fully fluent in French and English. They will play a critical role as part of a broader partnerships and stakeholder engagement team to build awareness, enhance the profile and engage audiences with regards to an advisory and capacity building services program geared towards municipalities nation-wide with a particular emphasis on small- and medium-sized municipalities, rural, remote, Indigenous, northern and isolated communities, as they explore and implement smart cities approaches to improve the lives of their residents through innovation, data and connected technology.
- Support the development of communications strategies to encourage municipalities’ participation in a comprehensive capacity building program led by Evergreen and lead technical partner OpenNorth and funded by Infrastructure Canada’s Smart Cities Community Support Program
- Develop communications, including news release and website content, designed to build awareness of the capacity building program and specific activities across municipalities nationwide with a particular emphasis on small- and medium-sized municipalities, rural, remote, Indigenous, northern and isolated communities.
- Create, write copy, edit and manage communications materials that are consistent with Evergreen brand.
- Develop communication materials in support of programmatic activities and associated outreach that are in alignment with strict communications guidelines agreed upon with Infrastructure Canada. Examples of programmatic activities: workshops, webinars, community roundtables, Idea Camps, etc.
- Develop and implement the digital content strategy for the program’s web portal, in close collaboration with the web developer and the CRM specialist
- Maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders and local media
- Create and post interactive content on social media
- Support the communications needs of the broader Partnerships and Programing teams
- Integrate and liaise with National Evergreen Communications team on an ongoing basis
- Effective written and verbal communication in both French and English. Speak, comprehend and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure when facing tight deadlines.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the work forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Supervised by: Senior Manager, Public Relations & Audience Engagement
- 3-5+ years of experience in either government, not-for-profit or agency environment
- Post-secondary education in Public Relations, Communications or equivalent experience
- Creative story teller with proven track record engaging both English and French speaking audiences
- Experience creating and executing a wide variety of content for multiple channels ranging from digital media to traditional media and events
- Project management experience
- Experience with community outreach and events management
- Experience working with Government an asset
- Regular hours, Monday to Friday with occasional evening and weekend work
- Location: Ottawa
Terms of contract: 12 Months
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Communications and Outreach Specialist” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.