The Second Mile Club of Toronto - a division of The Kensington Health Centre, a Social Service Agency, located in downtown Toronto, is seeking a Life Enrichment Co-ordinator - Recreation and Fitness to help plan and provide therapeutic and recreational activities to minimize independence, enhance cogitative abilities, increase socialization and provide respite to caregivers for elderly, cognitively impaired and disabled adults.
- Plan, facilitate and observe therapeutic delivery of activities that promotes stimulation and engagement for clients and to monitor their progress.
- Support meaningful interactions between clients, staff and volunteers to enhance their physical, mental and emotional well-being.
- Work with supporting staff and volunteers to promote a high quality, safe and client-centered program.
- Coordinate and monitor client attendance (including transportation arrangements) and dietary needs.
- Maintain presence in the program and be able to proactively identify safety risks to clients as well as staff.
- Help foster a safe and healthy environment to ensure client safety.
- Work with the team to provide regular program reporting and implement improvement plans.
- Lead, facilitate and participate in program activities.
- Monitor and ensure client care plans reflect client care needs and facilitate linkage to additional needed programs and supports, (internally or externally,) to meet unaddressed needs.
- Support good-fit between client and the program and be able to identify and escalate when program scope is no longer suitable for client care needs.
- Initiate appropriate response during emergencies and take charge by ensuring pertinent information is relayed to emergency responders and caregivers.
- Initiate incident response, follow up and reporting.
- Troubleshoot and resolve day to day issues and concerns regarding service quality and program operation.
- Track and report program statistics.
- Maintain files and review documentation relating to client care.
- Be proactive and maintain compliance with organizational and program policies and procedures.
- Occasional accompaniment on Agency vehicles to bring clients to and from the program.
- Orientate and direct placement students to optimize a learning environment.
- Perform additional tasks and duties as assigned or deemed necessary by the Director.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- 2-3 years of front line experience working in the senior and/or community services sector with knowledge on service related to the elderly and people with mental or physical challenges.
- Experience in palliative care.
- Strong problem solving, decision making & communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect all of the organization’s clients’ honor and dignity while providing services.
- Ability to work as a team and willingness to take initiative and manage a fast-paced environment.
- Encompass such skills and traits as empathy compassion
- Operate from an anti-oppressive framework recognizing and respecting the diversity within our community.
- Effective and timely follow through with issue resolutions and to ensure communication across all teams.
- Knowledge in using Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Experience with client database Canesto, CIMS, is an asset.
Required Professional Designation/Certificate:
- College Diploma (preferably Activation Coordination/Gerontology, Recreation and Leisure Services); or equivalent extensive experience in community service sector.
- Ability to lead a dance class is an asset.
- Ability to cook for the congregate dining program is an asset.
Type of Employment: Permanent Full-time
Hours of Work: 75 hours bi-weekly
Location(s) of Work: 25 Brunswick Ave, Toronto, ON M5S 2L9
Remuneration: $23.50 per hour
Benefits Package: Health and Dental
Business Address: 25 Brunswick Ave, Toronto, ON M5S 2L9
Please submit resumes by 11:59 PM on May 10, 2019.
Kensington Health Centre thanks all applicants for their interest in advance however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Kensington Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. Candidates will be provided with an overview of the various elements of the selection process, such as tests, skills demonstrations, etc. Kensington Health Centre is committed to providing reasonable accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.