Overall Purpose/Broad Function
Reporting to the Senior Manager, this position will support the development and implementation of high-priority internal projects aimed at building new business models and driving efficiencies within the organization. The Analyst will also support the formulation and coordination of policy in key areas across the organization. Working as part of the President’s Office, the Analyst will work in a variety of domains including research, project management, and stakeholder management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Senior Manager on processes/work plan development and refinement, and independently develop processes/work plans for some projects.
- Draft logical, clear, and comprehensive terms of reference for consultants engaged for projects. Conduct preliminary assessments of deliverables produced by consultants to ensure basic quality of work and fulfillment of ToRs.
- Develop and update documents relating to processes, work plans, timelines, and deliverables for projects and initiatives.
- Track progress on work plans and deliverables, providing reminders and flagging issues/delays as needed, including by establishing systems/tools to do so. Track overall workload and workflow for the team, helping ensuring all tasks are completed on time.
Research and Analysis
- Frame research questions and develop initial hypotheses. Conduct desk research and interviews (with internal and external experts) to answer research questions. Organize research findings (both qualitative and quantitative) in a logical manner that enables analysis.
- Develop excel-based tools and models for quantitative analysis. Analyze research findings to identify insights and learnings that respond to the research questions. Identify unexpected insights and learnings that may not relate to initial research questions but inform the broader project/ initiative. Formulate first drafts of options and recommendations on key strategic and policy questions based on the research and analysis.
- Produce both detailed records of research findings (including detailed notes from interviews) as well as research summaries that are adapted to specific audiences, with a particular emphasis on readability and clarity of findings.
- Support the Senior Manager in tracking priority issues and organizations including through media searches, by establishing news alert systems, and by attending webinars/meetings/ events. Flag key developments to the Senior Manager and provide regular updates.
- Help clarify objectives for key meetings. Support the Senior Manager in designing the meeting, including developing the agenda, facilitation activities, and tools.
- Research, identify, and apply new approaches/ tools for effective meeting facilitation in order to achieve the objectives of different meetings.
- Produce preparatory material for the meeting including background briefing notes and presentation slides.
- Take the lead in facilitating some meetings or portions of meetings. Capture detailed notes from meetings, produce summary notes (including key takeaways and action items) and communicate these out.
- Take ownership of all the logistics for key meetings, including invitations, IT setup, and venue booking.
Communication and Stakeholder Management
- Support the Senior Manager in identifying communication gaps with other teams relating to special projects and initiatives, and on other issues relating to internal stakeholder management.
- Collate and help the Senior Manager respond to requests for information from other teams.
- Draft internal communication material (including emails, briefing notes, and PowerPoint presentations).
- Work closely with the Communications team to produce material for external dissemination, primarily by providing the content and information required
- Establish a logical and easily search-able system for managing and retrieving the information and knowledge collected by the team.
- Regularly update this system as new information and knowledge is collected. Use this information management system to identify linkages and cross-connections between discrete projects, initiatives, and priorities
Other duties and responsibilities may be required.
Education, Skills, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree at minimum, with a track-record of strong academic performance.
- Ideal candidate minimum of 2-3 years of management/strategy consulting experience, but not essential.
- Policy/business research skills (scientific research skills are not required) including the ability to identify and summarize key insights from research.
- Ability to manage complex projects, including developing work plans and tracking activities
- Ability to produce excel-based models/tools for quantitative analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including the ability to present to large groups on complex topics.
- Client orientation, including ability to pivot and adapt quickly to evolving client expectations and needs.
- Excellent Inter-personal skills, including ability to work effectively in cross-unit teams in high-pressure environments.
- Prior work experience or academic study in international development preferred, but not essential.
- Fluency in English required.
- Fluency in French a bonus.
This is a 9 month contract position. Selected candidates must have current legal entitlement to work in Canada (Permanent Residency, Current Work Permit, Citizenship, NAFTA eligibility or other reciprocal trade agreement). This position is located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Please click on Apply to submit your application. The last date to submit the application is July 25, 2019. Telephone inquiries WILL NOT be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Nutrition International is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible work environment. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.