|Organization Name||Job Categories||Position Type||Region and Location(s)||Career Level||Salary||Ad Online Since||Application Deadline|
|Interim Place||Seasonal||Experienced (Non-manager)||N/A||2019-05-09||2019-05-23|
Position: HRDC Maintenance Assistance – 1 Positions
Reports to: Program and Service Coordinator
Interim Place is a dynamic anti-violence organization providing shelter, counselling and advocacy supports for women, youth and children experiencing violence in the Region of Peel. Interim Place offers a positive work environment for its employees and service excellence to its clients. We are committed to ending violence against women by acknowledging and addressing the multitude of barriers facing women who have experienced violence and by providing crisis intervention and a range of supports and services. Interim Place works within a feminist, anti-oppressive, anti-racist, queer and trans positive, disability positive, harm reduction framework.
Purpose of Position
The Maintenance Assistant will ensure both shelter locations meet Health and Safety standards by ensuring the cleanliness of both shelter locations. A strong work ethic and attention to detail are essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform regular property inspections of the shelters, including common areas, building exterior, and landscape.
• Sweep, mop, floors, vacuum carpeted areas, dump garbage and recycle bins, perform all cleaning aspects of halls, offices, board rooms, restrooms, lunchroom as well as wash walls, windows and window coverings.
• Ensure the kitchen area and food storage meets health and safety standards.
• Perform minor repairs on windows, doors, switches, desks, tables, plugs, equipment, appliances, sinks, toilets, blinds etc.
• Prepare and set up meeting rooms for meetings or various other activities and cleans up afterwards.
• Monitor need for equipment maintenance and repairs and report these to the Program and Service Coordinator at each designated shelter.
• Keep up to date on Health and Safety Legislation and WHMIS requirements. Ensure the proper supply of PPE is kept
• Assist the Maintenance Coordinator to, disassemble damaged and broken equipment so that it can be more easily repaired, then reassemble pieces after repair work has been successfully completed.
• Maintain grounds and common areas to ensure they are operational, safe and clean for the residents (sweeps and cleans gutters, waters plants).
• Receive deliveries of equipment and supplies and transfer them to workstations or other areas as indicated by the Program Supervisors.
• Assist the Maintenance Coordinator in providing handyperson services within the context of safety and security such as basic repairs to plumbing systems including fixing leaky faucets and opening clogged drains, etc.
• Other duties as required by the employer.
• Post-secondary school diploma in a related field or completion of a craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent
• Strong work ethic
• Ability to lift to 40 pounds without assistance
• Ability to perform minor repair and handyman work
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to take initiative, to manage multiple tasks with established deadlines and work effectively within a team.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Proficiency in word-processing, excel and databases
• Must meet all Canada Summer Jobs criteria including:
o Be between 15 – 30 years of age at the start of employment;
o Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
o Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant Ontario legislation and regulations.
Hours: 30 hours per week
Interim Place is committed to the development of an organization that reflects the community and women it serves. Applications from Aboriginal Women, World Majority Women/Women of Colour, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer Women, Consumer Survivors and Women with Disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Please send cover letter and current resume to Program Coordinator, Interim Place by May 23, 2019 through Charity Village. Please include in your cover letter the position that you are applying for.
Date of Posting: May 9, 2019
Deadline: May 23, 2019