The Canadian Propane Association (CPA) is the national association for Canada’s propane industry, representing over 400 member companies in every region of the country. Members include producers, Wholesalers, Transporters, Retailers and Manufacturers of Appliances, Equipment and Cylinders (MACE).
The CPA is based in Ottawa, with an office in Calgary.
The Canadian Propane Association’s Propane Training Institute (PTI) is dedicated to:
- Providing training programs focused on the needs of members, developed by and for the propane industry and meet the propane industry’s highest quality standards.
- Offering training programs that promote a culture of safe propane handling and use of propane-fuelled equipment, while improving the skills of propane industry workers.
- Being the Canadian leader and benchmark for our professional training and certification programs and for regulatory authorities in all Canadian provinces and territories.
The Director, Propane Training Institute will be responsible for the strategic direction and implementation of the Propane Training Institute learning and development sector, in addition to participating in Codes and Standards development and review initiatives to represent the propane industry.
The person will maintain current curriculum updated, develop new ones and look after the sales of the training programs across Canada. He/She will be responsible for the delivery of value-added training services in compliance with regulations to enhance safety performance and skills needed in the propane industry. On top of ensuring that training is delivered in an effective, efficient and interactive manner, the director will:
- Manage the PTI training curriculum ensuring programs are up-to-date, are approved by authorities having jurisdictions and in compliance with all relevant regulations while responding to industry’s needs;
- Ensure trainers are trained to effectively lead and coach their trainees;
- Identify, in collaboration with master trainers, training needs and translates them into appropriate learning opportunities;
- Identify learning and development needs and trends within the industry;
- Ensure that the database and LMS platform are up-to-date with training information, manuals, etc.;
- Establish high-quality consistent standards of training for all trainers and trainees according to industry’s needs;
- Monitor the effectiveness of training conducted as well as value for money spent on training;
- Be actively involved in monitoring trainer performance;
- Periodically audit the training providers and the training conducted;
- Ensure document integrity prior to publishing, downloading and testing all training programs in the LMS system;
- Ensure all training programs and tools are functional and usable;
- Answer questions from trainers regarding training programs;
- Perform any other duties related to training.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations or related discipline
- Experience in the transportation industry or in the oil & gas / propane sector
- Capacity in developing training requirements in a regulated sector is an asset
- Handling and use of gas/propane equipment experience is an asset
- More than 5 years in developing training content or in training or equivalent
- Experience in managing training programs in an LMS environment
- Depth of knowledge in training values, eLearning deployment, competency-based training, key result areas to measure training, training reporting
- Strong ability to interpret policies, directives and regulations and detailed oriented
- A strong communicator, able to work collaboratively
- Passion and enthusiasm for competency development aligned with the overall association strategy
- Ability to identify problems and develop solution strategies to contribute to continuous improvement
- Excellent writing and publishing skills
- Bilingualism (French/English) an asset
Canadian Propane Association (CPA) offers you
This is a full time, salaried position. The CPA offers a competitive salary, employee bonus program and comprehensive benefits package. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.