The CPA has an exciting opportunity for a new position in the Events and Regional Programs Department. The positon available is a Conference Producer. This position is responsible for supporting the Manager of Events and Regional Programs with the planning, implementation and management of the CPA’s flagship annual National Conference and Trade Show, and to be primarily responsible for the planning, implementation and management of the Regional Symposiums and the Coordinator/Instructor (CI) Symposium.
National Conference & Trade Show:
- Work within the annual conference Operational Plan to provide relevant and accurate input and management of all costs
- Develop and manage the critical path, to ensure all activities are completed on time and within budget
- Conduct site inspections alongside Manager, Events & Regional Programs to ensure appropriate staffing, and overall venue service delivery prior to the conference
- Setup meeting and conventions group airline / train blocks to support booking of delegate travel to conference destination at a discounted rate
- Work with local Convention Visitors Bureau and Destination Management Organizations to leverage local expertise for ancillary services
- Negotiate fees and process contracts for keynote speakers once approved.
- Source and contract entertainment acts, audio visual support, conference décor, photography support, drayage, show decorators, trade show electrical requirements, power drop, rigging, etc.
- Provide input and consultation to the Marketing & Communications Department on the content and design of the conference brochure and final program for website content
- Ensure conference app content is properly uploaded
- Work with Conference Committee and the applicable Regional Programs Specialist to hold planning committee meetings (most by conference call, 2-3 in host city) to facilitate the conference and local volunteer committee involvement
- Consult with Manager, Membership Administration and IT to coordinate registration process and to ensure all aspects of delegate registration run as smoothly as possible
- Consult with Manager, Stakeholder Relationship, to ensure all exhibitor and sponsor registrations are accurate
- Respond to delegate registration enquiries and assist with delegate registration challenges, as required
- Manage schedules for on-site conference team to ensure shifts are covered for registration desk, breakout room setup, AV rehearsals, load in, load out, etc.
- Manage conference special events and activities (e.g. awards and volunteer recognition) as well as all on-site activities, including on-site staff, volunteers and suppliers
- Curation of conference giveaways (conference bag, delegate gifts, sponsorship gift offerings (in tandem with Stakeholder relations department).
- Responsible for food and beverage selection, management of dietary requirements, review of BEOs and reconciliation of all venue invoicing
- Act as Trade Show Manager, responsible for managing the trade show’s logistics and coordination of conference shipments
- Responsible for the creation and distribution of conference protocols
- Provide monthly updates to the Manager, Events & Regional Programs on developments
- Ensure conference evaluations are completed and submit CPA’s Conference wrap-up report with assessment of results and recommendations
- Develop new and creative strategies and conference initiatives that support the CPA’s ability to attract and retain members, sponsors and exhibitors attending the event
Regional Symposiums/ Coordinator/Instructor (CI) Symposium:
- Plan and manage Regional Symposiums when requested
- Create project plan and initiate monthly planning meetings with internal stakeholders. Once the program is determined, plan the program layout
- Initiate a Request for proposal (RFP) to venue and negotiate contract.
- Conduct site inspection(s) at appropriate venues to host event.
- Negotiate and contract all associated costs (i.e., room rental, audio visual, food/beverage, accommodations, staffing)
- Create a project plan featuring key planning milestone dates
- Organize internal planning meetings with key stakeholders to plan the programs, and volunteers at the event
- Aid in obtaining speakers for the sessions
- Initiate RFP to on-site contractors (i.e., drayage, show decorators, electrical, audio visual, décor, etc.) and negotiate final contract
- Work with Member Services Department and IT to ensure registration is setup and monitor registration
- Creation of symposium theme, graphics, email communication (ie. save the date, registration confirmation, internal stakeholder communication)
- Respond to delegate registration enquiries
- Ensure all invoices are received in a timely fashion and paid on time.
- Coordinate delegate handouts (i.e., speakers’ notes), create signage, and design templates for delegate name badges
- On site event execution
- Submit Symposium wrap-up report with assessment of results and recommendations
- Six plus years of event management experience
- Certified Meeting Planner or equivalent designation is required
- University degree in business, marketing, public relations/communications is an asset
- Professional level English communication skills (French would be an asset)
- Professional level writing, editing and speaking skills
- Excellent presentation skills to effectively present ideas to various audiences
- Ability to achieve results and respond professionally in a fluid fast-paced environment
- Consistent attention to detail, including planning programs, reporting, analysis, and events management plans
- Low to mid-level physical effort (moving boxes of printed materials) is required in event planning
- High-level sensory attention (reading, writing, listening, communicating, general communications skills)
- Adjusts quickly and effectively to changing conditions and demands
- Resolves conflicts in a manner that is best for both the organization and the individuals involved
- Builds rapport and develops alliances with a broad range of people. Adjusts communication style to meet the needs of individuals at various organizational levels and to meet the needs of members and stakeholders
- Has established a track record of producing work that is highly accurate, demonstrates attention to detail and reflects well on the organization
- Looks out for new and innovative approaches that will improve efficiency
- Embraces and champions new ideas and encourages others to do the same
- Recognizes opportunities and initiates actions to capitalize on them
- Highly organized, and able to manage multiple priorities yet still fulfills all commitments
- Able to work effectively and maintain composure during stressful situations
- Be willing and able to travel as required
- Ability to work independently
- Team player with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Takes a proactive approach to anticipating and preventing problems and when problems occur
- Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency, and achieves results within established timelines
- Builds rapport and develops alliances with a broad range of people
- Presents a professional, polished image in representing the CPA.
- Self-starter and flexible
- Significant event management, on site vendor and volunteer supervision and communication skills; focused on achieving, member service and revenue results
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office and various Internet and research tools as well as the ability to learn new applications as required
- Intermediate understanding of online technologies
The Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) is the national association that has represented employers’ payroll interests since 1978. The CPA is an influential organization, affecting payroll practices in hundreds of thousands of small, medium and large employers across the country. With more than 20,000 members in Canada and abroad, the CPA is recognized as the pre-eminent source of knowledge and information for anyone who administers a Canadian payroll; delivering certification, professional development programs, and products and services that enable payroll practitioners to enhance operations, meet new legislative requirements and utilize emerging technologies.
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
The Canadian Payroll Association
The Canadian Payroll Association is committed to diversity and employment equity and welcomes all applications from qualified individuals.
The Canadian Payroll Association is an equal opportunity employer; as such, accommodation is available to applicants that may require it. Applicants requiring accommodation are encouraged to contact Jelena Misur, HR Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss requirements.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.