|Organization Name||Job Categories||Position Type||Region and Location(s)||Career Level||Salary||Ad Online Since||Application Deadline|
|Camp Oochigeas||Full Time||Manager (Supervisor of Staff)||N/A||2018-11-23||2019-01-22|
ABOUT CAMP OOCHIGEAS
In 1983, an ambitious group of board members and volunteers banded together to create a summer camp unlike any other in Canada. Exclusively serving children with cancer, it would be privately funded, staffed entirely by volunteers, and completely free for the campers. A camp where every child, no matter how debilitating their illness, would be provided an opportunity to explore enriching, challenging, fun experiences through what is fondly referred to today as the “Magic of Ooch”.
Over thirty years later, Camp Ooch has experienced exceptionally strong strategic growth and is now offering increased programming in order to better serve our community. Building programs to meet the ever-changing landscape of paediatric healthcare, we have expanded to include programs year-round in Muskoka, at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto (SickKids), at Camp Ooch Downtown (a Toronto urban camp facility), and six other regional cancer centres in Ontario.
With more than 500 active volunteers each year and over 55 full-time staff, we now serve 1,500+ children and families annually, at our camp and through other year-round programs that support siblings, bereaved siblings, and parents. With no hospital or government funding, Camp Ooch relies on the generous support of over 15,000 donors each year and continues its long- standing history of providing outstanding support and excellent programming for children with cancer.
The Manager, Human Resources is responsible for the smooth and effective operation of Camp Oochigeas’ human resources department and the associated programs it is responsible for. This role supervises HR staff, provides consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, training and development, budget, and employee relations. The incumbent, working collaboratively with others, also takes a leadership role in developing a culture that enables employees to perform in accordance with the organization’s objectives.
The Manager, HR effectively plans, designs, develops and evaluates human resource- related initiatives that support organizational strategic goals. Initiatives also include (but are not limited to) performance management, talent assessment, and effective employee relationships, including negotiating and administering employment agreements/contracts.
The Manager, HR delivers or oversees the following: HR policies, safety programs, recruitment, benefits coordination, handling disputes and guiding managers through employee issues; wellness plans; and employee records. The incumbent may be asked to lead or contribute to special projects that arise as part of the HR Strategy agreed to, as well as to stay current with, and help Ooch navigate through, all applicable legislation and other HR regulations, existing and upcoming.
1. HR Strategic Initiatives – Responsible for ensuring the organization attains and maintains a state-of-the-art Human Resources Department and associated programs, policies, procedures, tools, and communications that will serve the ‘human asset’ needs of Ooch now and in the future. In so doing, carries out or oversees the necessary periodic HR audits while remaining informed and up-to-date of all pertinent trends and legislation, making recommendations to senior management as deemed appropriate, ensuring the necessary compliance. Assists senior management in its pursuit of Imagine Canada compliance and accreditation.
2. Recruitment and Staffing – Responsible for facilitating the processes concerned with addressing vacancies, working with individual managers/supervisors as well as the leadership team to ensure Job Descriptions are current, and then to pursue, assess, interview candidates, and help select the successful ones. Oversees the issuance of all necessary hiring and dismissal communications.
3. Compensation and Benefits – Responsible for undertaking or overseeing Ooch’s needs for competitive market compensation and related data, recommending salary schedules, and once approved ensuring their consistent implementation. Responsible for managing Ooch’s Job Evaluation Plan. Responsible for implementing Ooch’s Performance Management plan and associated Salary Increase Matrix. Responsible for administering Ooch’s Benefit Plans and provisions and recommending changes in order to contain costs as well as to stay competitive. Ensures all required HR-related data is provided to the Payroll personnel in a timely fashion, contributing to the system’s accuracy and effectiveness.
4. Training and Development – Responsible, in collaboration with other leadership, for identifying corporate HR training needs, developing programs where necessary, and delivering training where appropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, training in areas such as Performance Management, Safety, Employee Health, and Wellness. The incumbent is responsible to manage the development of, and the delivery process, of Ooch’s Professional Development Program.
5. Employee Interests – Available to assist both employees and supervisors/management with work-related personal concerns requiring resolution to facilitate maximum engagement and both individual and team productivity, with special attention to Ooch’s relevant policies. Where appropriate, refers others to professional counselling.
6. Budget and Administration – Responsible for recommending an annual budget to cover the various HR initiatives. Responsible for overseeing the accurate and confidential keeping of employee personnel records and oversees the administration of lieu time, leaves, vacation policies, and all other employee policies.
7. Ethics – Ensures that the integrity, image and quality of all work is consistent with Camp Oochigeas’ mission, operating principles and objectives.
Key Relationships – The incumbent works closely and collaboratively with the organization’s CEO, CFO, CDO, other Directors and Managers as required. The incumbent is also responsible for supervising the HR and Administrative Support Specialist.
Experience and Qualifications
Reports to: Chief Finance Officer
Particular Working Conditions:
Remuneration and Benefits – Camp Oochigeas has a comprehensive benefits program and competitive compensation.
Accessibility -- Upon request, Camp Oochigeas will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that consider the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages.
To Apply -- Send your resume and cover letter with salary expectations by fax or mail to the attention of:
Manager, Human Resources Hiring Committee
464 Bathurst St.
Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S6
Email: HR @ ooch.org
Start Date: As soon as mutually agreeable.
Note: We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Camp Oochigeas, please visit www.ooch.org