The Pembina Institute is seeking a highly motivated individual to join its team as an Executive Assistant to ensure the proper operation of the Executive Director’s office and provide support to the Institute’s Board of Directors. The scope of the work for the Executive Assistant includes delivering administrative, organizational and communication support to both offices.
We’re looking for a person with great communication skills who can help shape a positive image of the organization. They must be able to speak with coworkers, board members and stakeholders at all levels, giving complete attention to what they say and asking questions in order to understand their concerns. The job is fast-paced and with many responsibilities. The Executive Assistant should stay organized and manage time and workspace, maintain the ED’s very busy calendar, track meetings and activities, and schedule conferences and business travel. The incumbent should also be able to prepare and organize simple reports, letters and presentations and must be experienced at taking minutes of meetings.
Why the Pembina Institute?
The Pembina Institute is a national non-partisan think tank that advocates for strong, effective policies to support Canada’s clean energy transition. Through research, consulting and convening, we employ multi-faceted and highly collaborative approaches to change to reduce the environmental impacts of energy production and use.
Our people are passionate about sustainability and dedicated to enabling positive social change. Our organizational culture encourages creativity and collaboration, and we offer a flexible and fast-paced work environment that rewards honest character, personal initiative and innovation. The successful candidate will join our dynamic team of nationally recognized professionals working on delivering clean energy solutions into the hands of Canada’s decision makers and key influencers.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary rate is competitive for an Executive Assistant in the environmental, non-profit sector and will be based on skills, experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
- extended health and dental
- four weeks of holidays per year
- flexible work hours
- strong growth potential in an entrepreneurial business environment
- RRSP plan
- training and development opportunities
Further terms of employment will be discussed with candidates during the interview process.
Roles and Responsibilities
Executive Director office services
- Screen/filter Executive Director (ED)’s incoming and outgoing correspondence via email any other communication tools: deciding who should deal with what particular issue and, where possible, assigning the request to appropriate person; often responding directly to individuals or drafting responses.
- Ensure confidentiality of records and communications regarding personnel, protected intellectual property and sensitive corporate information.
- Organize and manage files for the ED using an efficient and accessible system.
- Manage ED’s calendar, travel and logistics.
- Develop agenda and minutes for Management Working Group.
Board of Directors office services
- Work directly with the elected Board of Directors (BOD); responsible for carrying out the functions of the Board of Directors’ Office.
- Serve as a confidential representative and liaison with senior management, staff and other stakeholders.
- Manage the priorities of Board meeting agenda preparation and posting, minute preparation, Board policy updates, meeting coordination and numerous other assignments.
- Manage a high volume of communications, prepare reports, direct BOD correspondence (letters, memos, etc.), and maintain records for the Board of Directors’ Office.
- Work closely with management to ensure BOD priorities are being met and facilitate the resolution of problems without direct involvement by senior management.
- Assist the Board with the entire hiring process for the positions of Executive Director, Board Officers and Board Directors.
- Coordinate administrative support services such as reimbursements, and execute other duties as required.
This position can be located in Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver office and reports to the Executive Director. It is a full-time position available for a 12-month period with a tentative start date of March 1, 2019; it may be subject to renewal. This position requires some travel and occasional work on weekends and evenings.
Skills and Qualifications
Candidates must clearly reflect the following skills and experience in their application:
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration
- Minimum of three years of progressive experience in a senior administrative capacity including at least one year working with a board of directors and managing board office matters
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Exercise of independent professional judgment and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive issues
- Demonstrated organizational, senior administrative and analytical skills
- Ability to compile and coordinate extensive agendas for board meetings, ensure proper integration of reference materials and post agendas
- Experience preparing and editing accurate, concise minutes in a timely manner
- Ability to coordinate and provide liaison and administrative support for Board of Directors and management committee meetings
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Open to occasional flexible work hours
- Strong personal interest in climate change and energy issues is an asset
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please ensure the following:
- Subject line includes Executive Assistant and your last name
- Cover letter (max. two pages) explains why you are interested in working with the Pembina Institute and how your skills and qualifications meet the criteria outlined for this position
- Resume outlines your relevant skills, education and experience
- Cover letter and resume are saved as one PDF document using the naming convention lastnamefirstletter-application-position-year.pdf
- example: smithm-application-ExecutiveAssistant-2019.pdf
Application deadline: Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The Pembina Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.