The Chemistry Industry Association of Canada (CIAC) is the Association for Canada’s chemistry sector leaders: innovators, solution providers, and world-class stewardship pioneers. We share our members’ stories with decision-makers at the federal and provincial level in order to shape public policy that supports innovation, investment, jobs and the environment.
As the founders of Responsible Care®, the industry’s globally-recognized sustainability initiative, our commitment to its ethics and principles means that we are focused on the betterment of society, the environment and the economy and that we “do the right thing and are seen to be doing the right thing.”
CIAC is governed by an active membership and has developed a strong reputation as a pragmatic, policy-driven, problem-solving organization. It represents members' interests based on solid research and analysis. CIAC works cooperatively with federal and provincial governments and other stakeholders to find constructive policy solutions that benefit both Canadian society and the chemistry industry.
Located in Ottawa, CIAC has regional representation in Québec, Ontario and Western Canada.
About the Role
This is a key leadership role to create and lead strategies and tactics in communications, media relations, messaging and social media to strengthen CIAC engagement with the chemistry industry and key decision-makers.
About the Job
- Work collaboratively with the senior management and business units to develop comprehensive communications and media relations strategies, activities and tools that support and contribute to the achievement of the Association’s objectives and advancement of key advocacy initiatives;
- Lead the development of messaging to support the delivery of advocacy initiatives with diverse audiences;
- Manage and leverage social media platforms to promote the organization and its advocacy agenda;
- Lead, manage, write and edit communications content for web, social and print, including press releases, fact sheets, advertising copy, reports, etc.;
- Lead the development and delivery of brand guidelines to ensure the organization’s brand and brand standards remain consistent across all communications channels;
- Manage external suppliers including designers, writers, etc.;
- Build, develop and nurture meaningful relationships with members, partners and stakeholders and staff;
- Lead and manage all media relations including enquiries, advisories, press releases, statements and messaging;
- Build meaningful and effective relationships with key media channels and journalists at the national and provincial level;
- Act as a spokesperson for the Association with the media when called upon;
- Monitor and assess the external environment to identify emerging issues impacting the Association and its members;
- Manage the communications budget, track and report expenditures and ensure cost effective utilization of funds.
What you Bring:
- University degree in communications, journalism, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training in a related field;
- Knowledge and understanding of working in a non-profit association is an asset;
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in a communications and/or public affairs role;
- Demonstrated exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Energetic, proactive self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision, results oriented, innovative and creative with strong analytical skills;
- Demonstrates sound judgment and logical thinking when making decisions;
- Able to multi-task, prioritize and deliver on multiple demands;
- Demonstrated ability in leading and working with cross-functional teams;
- High comfort and tolerance to manage stress and role demands;
- Holds interpersonal qualities necessary to generate enthusiasm, integrity and build consensus with other staff members;
- Accountable and committed.
- Fluency in English is essential;
- French is an asset.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.