AYS is a home-like environment where staff collaborate with professionals in the community to create a strength based plan that will meet the individual needs of the youth. These plans will enable the youth to develop the skills needed to be successful in the community. These include creating opportunities for positive social interactions and improving relationships with natural support systems, encouraging educational and/or vocational training, teaching life skills, increasing coping strategies needed for emotional/behavioural regulation, address any health related needs, and foster identity, cultural, and religious exploration.
The residence is a 24 hour staffed resource where two youth reside with one residential support worker. The Resource Coordinator provides youth with one on one individualized support and case manages the youth’s individualized service plan (ISP). In case of a crisis situation or when extra support is needed, youth and staff will have access to a crisis worker 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We are looking to hire 4 FULL-TIME positions and up to 4 PART-TIME positions.
The part time position is extremely flexible and it great for anyone who has other commitments such as family, school, volunteering, another job, etc.
- Demonstrates strong relational skills when building rapport with hard to reach youth
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the dynamics of working with at risk multi barrier youth
- Creative and enthusiastic on supporting clients to do activities that meet their goals including arts and crafts, cultural activities, physical activities, etc.
- Competent in conveying oral and written information to appropriate professionals
- Skillful in maintaining professional conduct with youths care team & coworkers
- Ability to assist and assess in times of crisis & capable of diffusing conflict situations
- Skillful in problem solving and being solution focused in times of crisis
- Ability to take initiative in client planning
- Able to work and be part of a team oriented environment
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change
- Ability to demonstrate an appropriate use of time
- Competent in understanding cultural diversity
Residential Support Worker Job Expectations
- Build a strong rapport with hard to reach youth
- Must be able to work 24 hour shifts and work various shifts
- Transport youth to and from appointments, school, recreational activities, and family visits.
- To maintain the daily routine of client and encourage a healthy lifestyle for the client
- Crisis Intervention and capable of doing outreach
- Documentation including IR’s, RSP’s. Daily Logs, Safety Logs
- Must model positive behaviour
- Ability to perform basic household duties such as maintaining budget, grocery shops, meal preparation, cleaning, health and safety and repairs.
- Ability to adhere to all health and safety guidelines
- Teach youth basic life skills (i.e. personal hygiene)
- Meets attendance and punctuality standard and attend meetings when required
- Generalized understanding of medications and the ability to accurately administer medication (training provided at orientation and ongoing)
- Follow all policies and procedures as listed by Anika Youth Services