Position Type: Full-time
Length of Contract: 11 months (Parental Leave Contract)
Location: Mississauga, Ontario (University of Toronto, Mississauga campus)
Application Deadline: February 3, 2020
Start Date: February 24, 2020
The University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union is a not-for-profit student organization based at the University of Toronto at Mississauga. We are in search of a dedicated, creative, and highly motivated individual to act as an Interim Executive Director for the Student Union. The Interim Executive Director will supervise full-time and part-time staff of the UTMSU and provide advice, support and assistance to the Executive team with a specific emphasis on the UTMSU’s internal operations and services. The Interim Executive Director will be responsible for facilitating the implementation of policy, procedures and short-term planning.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Facilitate and lead organizational development as guided by the Mission and Vision of the UTMSU.
- Develop annual and long-term strategic planning in conjunction with Executive Committee.
- Supervise full-time staff as well as temporary and casual workers, in conjunction with the Executives.
- Develop continuity, training and reporting mechanisms with the Executives.
- Training and orientation of incoming Executive and Board members and all new staff.
- Support, assist, and advise the Executives, Directors, and any committees of the UTMSU and any affiliate organizations.
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Committee and staff to aid in the day-to-day operations and services delivery of the UTMSU office.
- Facilitate Executives, the Board, committees and related staff members in the preparation of annual budgets of the non-profit corporation.
- Assist the Executive, the Board, committees and related staff members on strategies and plans on advocacy.
- Assist in developing and executing projects of the Executives.
- Ensure a working environment that is open, accessible, transparent, and student-friendly
- Assist with and act as a resource for the UTMSU’s services.
- Attend regular meetings of the UTMSU’s Executive Committee, the Board of Directors, and the various committees as requested.
- Provide financial, operational and service updates to the Executive Committee as requested.
- The Interim Executive Director will report directly to the President and Vice President Internal, and indirectly to the Executive Committee.
The Interim Executive Director will also support UTMSU Staff with the following responsibilities:
- Monitors university governance activities and advises the Executive Committee on relevant matters.
- Maintains up-to-date internal bylaws, policies, and other elections and referenda policies.
- Supports the production of documents for Board of Directors meetings and Annual General Meetings.
- Providing advice and guidance on maintaining and improving financial/service operations to ensure the long-term viability of the Union.
- Assisting with the preparation of the Union’s annual operating budget and all associated budget materials for circulation to the Executive Committee and membership, as requested; and
- Developing financial control protocols, accountability measures, and effective procedures to ensure adequate record keeping and reporting of the Union’s financial information.
- Maintain minute binders for the UTMSU and UTMSU committees.
- Ensuring the collection, receipt and proper reconciliation of membership dues.
- Maintaining records dealing with leases, contracts, and administrative agreements.
- Shall act as a staff resource for UTMSU elections when requested by the Executive Committee.
- Maintaining records dealing with salary rates, benefits, accumulated overtime, and other relevant payroll information;
- Preparing and processing bi-weekly payroll and other personnel reports.
- Comprehensive understanding of the objectives and operations of students’ unions, and the history and goals of the student movement.
- Exceptional research and writing skills.
- Exceptional organizational, time-management, and prioritizing skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills relevant to a work environment with an emphasis on conciseness and clarity.
- A strong understanding of the aims and goals of students’ unions and the student movement will be considered an asset.
- A background in Human Resources is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with working within a post-secondary student union, or similar non-profit organization will be considered an asset.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and time-management skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to problem solve and work well under pressure.
- Strong knowledge of reading and understanding constitutions, by-laws and legal documents.
- Ability to lead and mentor by facilitating group consensus and by fostering a team-oriented work environment.
- Familiarity with policy analysis and policy development.
- College diploma or University degree, or commensurate experience.
- A minimum of two years management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Able to supervise, support, motivate and direct full and part-time employees and student volunteers.
- Experience in dealing with budget development and financial protocols in a non-profit organizational environment will be considered an asset.
- Dedication, commitment and a willingness to work overtime and flexible hours.
- An understanding of the dynamics and diversity of a suburban university will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrates ability in designing project models.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Salary: A competitive salary, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
PLEASE NOTE: UTMSU is an independently incorporated organization working within the University of Toronto community. This position is NOT a University of Toronto staff position.
Please apply by e-mail. Include a one-page cover letter with your résumé. The presentation and comprehensiveness of your application will be seriously evaluated. Please do not telephone. However, feel free to follow-up via e-mail. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
ATTN: Sara Malhotra – Vice President Internal
University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union
3359 Mississauga Road North • Mississauga, Ontario • L5L 1C6
The University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from members of diverse communities including: Aboriginal people, persons of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the queer communities, trans people and women. Please note that UTMSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the University of Toronto community; this is not a University of Toronto position.