Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization, provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally appropriate programs such as counselling, childcare, educational and employment services, and youth development.
To supervise Employment Counselling, Youth Job Link and Resource & Information staff in helping them work with clients in the development and achievement of appropriate career and employment goals.
- Provide leadership and support to the CSPC, YJL and R& I staff in meeting program objectives
- Coordinate work functions among team members to ensure coordinated team approach to service delivery
- Supervise program staff and provide guidance in helping team members work collaboratively.
- Assist in the hiring and evaluation of program staff, conduct orientation and training for new staff members and volunteers
- Supervise placement students and volunteers
- Monitor daily activities and functions of the CSPC, YJL and R & I staff
- Develop work plans with team members
- Monitor staff performance around work plans/evaluation indicators and provide feedback and on-going support
- Monitor documentation process and procedures
- Liaise with Manager of Program and Services; Work collaboratively with Coordinator for Job Development and Placement services
- Make recommendations regarding strategies to improve efficiency and effectiveness; implement strategies following approval from Manager of Programs and Services.
- Monitor the daily operation of EOIS CaMS and the Client Tracking Monitoring System (CTMS) databases which tracks and reports on clients’ information
- Ensure that documentation of program participants is completed and statistical information is reported in Client Tracking Management System(CTMS) database and EOIS CaMS
- Support, engage and motivate CSPC, YJL and R & I staff and promote professional development.
- Support Manager of Programs and Services to implement Employment Services guidelines and Internal procedures in order to ensure that agency meets expected targets and outcomes
- Maintain a high level of customer service
- Monitor program activity level and outcome; advise Manager of Programs and Services of changes and developments
- Conduct file checks and provide detailed report to Manager of Programs and Services on a monthly basis
- Monitor periodically counseling and facilitation sessions and provide feedback to counsellors and the Manager of Programs and Services
- Make recommendations regarding strategies to improve efficiency; implement strategies following approval from Manager of Program and Services
- Review and update Counselling Training Binder, Resource Binder
- Schedule and lead team meetings
- Distribute resource information to the CSPC, YJL and R & I staff
- Coordinate information-sharing and facilitate inclusion of each team member in activities
- Work with the JMPI Coordinator to ensure an integrated service and effective relations across teams
- Represent the interests and contribution of team members to the Manager of Programs and Services
Hiring and Training
- Screen resumes of job applicants, make recommendations to Manager of Programs and Services
- Recruit volunteers/placement students to work with the CSPC team
- Provide job orientation and training for new staff members and volunteers
- Collect timesheets, request to work overtime and request for time-off. Submit to Manager of Programs and Services for final approval
- Prepare monthly reports for Manager of Programs and Services
- Coordinate staff schedules and timesheet submissions
- Ensure that statistical information for the counselling team is collected, recorded accurately and submitted to Administrative Assistant in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with community partners for example YES, Springboard and YEP to ensure coordinated service delivery
- Make presentations on behalf of the agency to other service deliverer providers
- Participate in outreach activities to increase the number of clients accessing services and to improve on service coordination
- Adhere to the policies and procedures of Tropicana Community Services Organizations as outlined in policy manual
- Represent the organization in a professional manner at all times
Health & Safety
Proactively supports the health and safety of the organization.
- Supervisors shall follow all Health & Safety rules and regulations and ensures the safety of their staff as prescribed by the Act.
Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in Social Service or Counselling Diploma and related work experience in employment counselling
- Strong knowledge and expertise in delivery and coordination of employment programs
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting and supervise team members(e.g. sustain team commitment and motivation; ensure team results achieved; actively maintain open communication by seeking input and feedback on consistent basis; gauge team processes and climate; address conflict proactively)
- Knowledge of current labour market trends
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-directed and results-oriented (ability to set priorities and remain focused on result)
- Creatively and ability to be resourceful in bringing forth on a consistent basis new ideas and innovative strategies to maintain currency and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the counselling program
- Ability to work in a multicultural/multiracial environment
- Experience motivating, engaging, supporting and developing teams
- Strong research and attention to detail
- Work experience in a non-profit sector/social service setting
- Solid working knowledge of Employment Ontario programs and Employment Ontario CaMS system
- Experience facilitating career and employment workshops
- Computer literacy (knowledge of Microsoft applications and Internet)
- Location Tropicana Employment Centre
- Environment: Office, indoor
- Mobility Travel required; car essential
- Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. generally; will vary according to needs
- Extended Hours Occasionally
- Dress Code: Professional business attire
Reports to: Manager, Programs and Services
Email resume: JDEmployment@tropicanaemployment.ca
Application deadline: 5:00 p.m. -March 29, 2019
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Tropicana Community Services offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment processes. If you are contacted, please advise if you require accommodation.