Position Title: Interim Hub Manager, Artscape Wychwood Barns (AWB)
Position Type: Interim Hub Manager, Full Time, 1 year maternity leave contract
Reporting to: Director of Hub Services
Department: Hub Services
Position Start Date: Early May, 2019
Artscape is currently seeking an Interim Hub Manager at Artscape Wychwood Barns. The Hub Manager supports and oversees tenant and community relations focused on strengthening community in and around Artscape Wychwood Barns. Each of Artscape’s community culture hubs has a lead Hub Manager that is focused on day to day management of the hub and fostering the conditions for artists and creative organizations to thrive through strong relationship management, community engagement and a passion for the mandate of Artscape.
The Hub Manager will work closely with the on-site team and the Hub Services department in managing the tenants and community at Artscape Wychwood Barns. The tenants represent a dynamic mix of artistic practices, community services and cultural interests. The large courtyard space in Barn 2 plays a regular host to arts and crafts fairs, community focused events, weddings and vendor markets. Artscape Wychwood Barns in very much known for Stop Community Food Centre’s popular Farmers Market.
About Artscape Wychwood Barns
Artscape Wychwood Barns is a prominent feature in the Christie and St. Clair neighbourhood. Its spaces include artist live/work studios, an event venue with unique architectural appeal, the Peter MacKendrick Community Gallery and office spaces for a range of arts, community and environmental organizations. It is surrounded on three sides by the City of Toronto Park. The building is a repurposed building formally known as a TTC streetcar repair facility constructed in 1913. Artscape Wychwood Barns opened its doors in 2008 after a $23 million redevelopment. This project also received a LEED Gold rating in 2010.
Direct Reports: Concierge
- Builds a spirit of accessibility, collaboration and community stewardship. Manages authentic relationships with live/work tenants, studio tenants and tenant organization at Artscape Wychood Barns, along with surrounding community, arts and cultural groups, project and program partners, stakeholder groups and committees in order to balance the needs of the entire community.
- Actively develops and implements outreach strategies for community and tenant engagement, working in collaboration with Artscape team members to introduce community members to Artscape Wychwood Barns who may not be aware or currently accessing the space and resources
- Represents Artscape at community meetings and events to foster collaborative community partnership opportunities and raise awareness around Artscape Wychwood Barns
- Actively works with Director of Hub Services & Manager of Community Services to tailor and deliver Thriving Artist Initiative activities and policies at Artscape Wychwood Barns to reflect the community it resides in.
- Facilitates and coordinates the engagement and impact of hub-related committees;
- Conduct and solicit feedback from tenants and community partners for review of event and programming initiatives;
- Provide data to Director of Hub Services regarding recommendations on increasing community engagement initiatives that reflect meaningful impact on community and/or Thriving Artist Initiatives;
- Makes recommendations for improvement areas of initiatives and proactively seeks out opportunities to make processes efficient.
- Collaborates with the Director of Hub Services and cross portfolio Hub Managers to standardize and implement protocols and procedures, sharing best practices around community engagement, operations and programming of a community cultural hub
- In collaboration with Artscape Performance & Event Venues , supports the effective delivery of programming, gallery exhibitions and community focused events
- In liaison with Artscape Performance & Event Venues and Hub Services team, develops and manages the Community Access Program for Artscape Wychwood Barns
- Serve as lead point of communication for live/work, studio tenants and tenant organizations to express ideas and issues, while working closely with Director of Hub Services to ensure timely reporting and responsiveness to formal complaints and suggestions.
- Regularly convenes and chairs tenant liaison meetings at Artscape Wychwood Barns and is responsible in collaboration with onsite team for all tenant updates and communications, including managing the weekly tenant updates.
- Oversees the concierge program, ensuring concierge team members have the tools and resources to communicate and support building activities with patrons on a daily basis.
- Manages and updates the social media channels and website in collaboration with Artscape’s Communications department
- In collaboration with the Building Operator and Manager of Event Operations, manage day to day operations and delegation of tasks to direct, indirect reports and cross-departmental team members to ensure a safe and supportive environment for tenants, event clients and members of the general public
- Working closely with Manager of Tenant Services and the Facilities Team, ensuring compliance with Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, and Commercial Tenancies Act and Artscape’s policies and procedures for tenancies at Artscape Wychwood Barns
- Accountable for building and managing a work culture that drives the performance of direct and indirect reports
- Fosters a positive and inclusive office environment by leading team meetings, acting as a point of escalation for direct reports, indirect reports and colleagues; problem solving with colleagues and resolving interpersonal conflicts in a healthy and positive manner
- Manages office administration needs and functionality, ensuring the team follows Artscape’s policies and procedures by soliciting follow up on deliverables by direct reports
- In collaboration with the Building Operator, consider the needs and activities of tenants and other members of the public, and help develop and implement safety and emergency planning strategies and techniques, to prepare for ad hoc crisis management of seen and unforeseen situations
- In liaison with the Artscape Performance & Event Services team, support business development plans for existing and potential customers to achieve sales targets and event venue rental activities, ensuring activities align with over all operational goals
- In collaboration with Director of Hub Services, responsible for understanding revenue and expense budgets and financial activities, making decisions based on project feasibility with delivery of sustainable financial outcomes within a set of specified budget limits/parameters and processes
- Management experience: 5 years management experience including people and facilities
- Thorough understanding of inclusion and accessibility and the mandate of a community cultural hub
- Leader in leveraging the power of arts and culture in building community
- Displayed commitment to Artscape’s mission in creative placemaking and hub level impact
- Demonstrated strength in fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in community building, programming, hiring and management.
- Effective conflict management and resolution , skilled in understanding and negotiating a common ground with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to collaborate and embrace a diversity of needs in a shared facility
- Programming: experience managing arts, culture and mentorship programming
- Lead teams through change and strong understanding of the complexity of operations, programming and events
- Financial aptitude: establishing and monitoring annual operating and program budgets
- Communications: proven ability to connect with the community, clients and stakeholders and establish positive and productive ongoing relationships and high customer service levels
- Strong customer service and relationship management orientation
- Knowledge of and established networks in the community is essential
- Prior event/ performance venue experience is an asset
- Experience in hosting or producing special events is an asset
- Spoken/written ability in language(s) in addition to English is an asset
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive a message confirming receipt. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.