11 Month Contract Position (37.5 hours per week)
File # 19-058
Peel Inclusion Resource Services (PIRS) is a partnership between the Region of Peel and several community agencies, including Peel Children’s Centre, to provide special needs resourcing to facilitate early intervention and successful inclusion of children with special needs in licensed childcare programs.
The objective of the PIRS model is to ensure that all licensed childcare programs in Peel have equitable access to the tools and resources needed to provide inclusive child care services. PIRS strives to ensure that all children with special needs and their families have an opportunity to participate in quality childcare. The model is consistent with principles and evidence-informed practices related to inclusion and early child development.
Annual salary range -$52,334- $61,209
This is a contract position until December 31, 2020 with an additional 4% of base salary to compensate for benefits and 4% in lieu of vacation.
Summary of Position
Reporting to the Supervisor, Clinical Services, the Resource Consultant is a member of the team that has primary responsibility for providing special needs resourcing support to parents\caregivers across Peel Region and surrounding areas.
- Work in collaboration with service providers to ensure an optimal learning environment for all children through conducting an inclusion scan and providing relevant strategies and recommendations.
- Work flexible hours (including regular weekend coverage) according to client and/or program need.
- Accountable for supporting early identification and supporting onward referrals to community partners as necessary for intervention where needed.
- Building capacity by working with programs, families and communities and promoting diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Provide consultation services, learning and development opportunities, mentoring and modeling to increase their capacity to work with children with special needs and to support the healthy development of children attending the programs.
- Determine the child’s strengths and needs by using a variety of developmental and environmental tools, which will indicate supports necessary to encourage progress in all areas of the child’s development.
- Work in partnership with the child, family and staff (as per consent) to review the recommendations and next steps.
- Facilitate existing Peel Children’s Centre groups and workshops or develop workshops, where needed, to families and caregivers on topics and themes identified
- Maintain up-to-date records as per clinical recording guidelines for each child and family consultation is provided to and maintain on-going progress notes, records of any meetings pertaining to the child and any recommendations made by other professionals involved.
- Provide supervision to students as required, completing all documentation.
- Actively participate as part of the multidisciplinary teams at PEP Start Clinics, PCC 0-6 and PIRS program support team.
Skills & Qualifications
- Early Childhood Education Diploma or an Early Childhood Education Diploma with Advanced Studies in Special Needs or a Bachelor’s Degree in Child Studies.
- Registered and in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators.
- Three years’ experience working with and programming for children with special needs.
- Demonstrated experience with supporting inclusion of children within the 0-6 age range.
- Demonstrated understanding of child development and using a mental health and trauma informed lens.
- Bilingualism in French and English as well as proficiency in other languages used by residents of Peel Region is a definite asset.
- A valid G Class Ontario Driver’s Licence and access to use of a reliable vehicle;
- Ability and willingness to drive across Peel Region and surrounding areas on a regular basis
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check required prior to start of employment.
At Peel Children's Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building an increasingly diverse workforce.
If this position is of interest to you, please submit a cover letter and resume, referring to
“File # 19-058 – Resource Consultant”, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Peel Children's Centre will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process.