Bellwood Health Services is a nationally recognized, accredited Addiction and Mental Health Treatment Centre, with over 30-year history of serving Canadians from across the country. This is an exciting opportunity to join a seasoned, multi-disciplinary team that is focused on quality care, by using best practice treatment, teamwork and respect. We are looking for a full-time Counsellor.
The counsellor will provide high-quality case management, clinical treatment, advocacy, individual and group therapy to clients for issues related to Operational Stress Injury, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, with co-occurring mental health and addiction issues. The incumbent is a member of an interdisciplinary team and is responsible for active participation in interdisciplinary treatment team meetings and resident-centered care planning. Case coordination and communication across an inter-professional team is an integral component of the role. Additionally, counsellor is responsible for communicating with referral agencies, offering support, and guidance to clients and their families.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Competently manages clients with various mental health issues, OPI, PTSD, Mood, Anxiety and Personality Disorders as well as substance and behavioral addictions.
- Works therapeutically with diverse client population through group therapy, or other process groups, psychoeducation and individual therapy
- Delivers education sessions to Bellwood clients, as well as to public audiences and external groups as needed.
- Identifies treatment issues and goals with clients, coordinating across broader clinical teams when appropriate.
- Collaborates in the development, implementation and follow-up of the client care plan and discharge plans (i.e. continuing care plan).
- Completes detailed documentation and charting appropriately. Prepares reports or correspondence in timely manner.
- Case management of client caseload.
- Participates in weekly meetings and consultation meetings of teams – makes recommendations on basis of the client progress.
- Orients clients in treatment to the continuing care program.
- Supporting a framework of accountability for clients in their recovery.
- Liaise with referral sources, aftercare providers, EAP representative, parole and probation officers, verbally, electronically and/or in writing on a weekly basis and documents same.
- Update families on an as needed basis, arrange for family consultation when needed.
- Engages in personal professional development, maintains appropriate professional associations, and provides current documentation to the Human Resources Department.
- Provides supervision for students in placement at Bellwood.
- Undertakes Quality Assurance activities as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum three to five years of clinical experience
- Master Degree in regulated health care professionals program preferred
- Current registration with a regulated professional College (ie: college of SW, College of Psychotherapists)
- Experience with first responders or military clients or culture considered an asset
- CPT, CBT, DBT and exposure therapy considered a strong asset
- Experience in a residential setting
- Role models excellence in patient care and serves as a mentor for the team
- Demonstrated excellent communication, facilitation and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with all members of the health care team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to best practice and quality improvement
- Commitment to the vision and goals of the organization
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
Bellwood is an employment equity employer.
If you should require accommodation during the interview process please contact human resources.