Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit www.evergreen.ca
Evergreen is seeking a Chief Program Officer (CPO) to provide visionary leadership and oversight to its programs to make cities greener, more livable and prosperous. Evergreen is strengthening the connective tissue between key players across the urban innovation ecosystem, through extensive convening, coordinated research, pilot projects and innovation labs. This involves Future Cities Canada (FCC), a collaborative platform that focuses on the key levers of change to foster urban innovation across Canada; including the development of the Community Solutions Network (CSN), delivering advisory and capacity-building services to municipalities and local stakeholders participating in the federal government’s Smart Cities Challenge.
The Chief Program Officer, Future Cities will lead the development of the strategy for the Future Cities Canada program, ensuring coordination and leading an effective team directly responsible for all aspects of planning, developing, promoting, and executing activities. They will also be a significant contributor to the on-going strategic planning of Evergreen, including new funding approaches to support programmatic work, ideally through earned-revenue streams.
- The ideal candidate will have name recognition, and can bring thoughtful narrative and analysis to our work, with a larger vision in mind to support Future Cities Canada in becoming globally recognized as Canada’s leading convener for urban development solutions.
- The candidate will have highly-polished facilitation and public speaking skills. They will be called on to provide comment and guidance on a range of topics related to sustainable urban development.
- The candidate will have strong program design, development, funding and evaluation expertise, and know how to navigate government structures, with experience with the drafting and implementation of policy.
- The candidate will have experience with design thinking and agile management strategies, and will intuitively discern whether proposed programs can be executed on time and within budget.
- Ideally, the candidate will bring extensive experience in the challenges of city-building and working with diverse stakeholders.
- Provide direction for program activities, ensuring coordination among a high-performance management team, to deliver activities for stakeholders, while meeting funder expectations and high-performance standards.
- Oversee the strategy for funding and allocating resources, both financial and human, in achieving objectives, and driving decisions for an $6 million budget.
- Optimize the role of the Future Cities Centre as a hub to convene stakeholders and showcase urban innovation.
- Review – and develop where necessary – financial statements, activity reports, and other performance data to measure effectiveness and goal achievement.
- Provide program leadership to Evergreen staff, ensuring coherence and alignment to the history, mission and values of the organization
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray Evergreen in a positive manner.
Models Evergreen’s Core Values
- Leadership: Mobilize teams, lead by example, inspire others to achieve.
- Strategic Thinking/Vision: Assess opportunities and threats, options and actions based on comprehensive analysis of current and future trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of Evergreen. See and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way.
- Customer-focus: A design thinker who can anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/funders/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and generate positive feedback from internal and external customers/funders/donors.
- People Management: Build a culture of agile management by clarifying performance expectations, providing professional/performance development support, recognizes people’s strengths and accomplishments, provides guidance while allowing independence, provides constructive and timely feedback, both informal and formal (e.g., annual performance appraisal), communicates relevant information (e.g., management decisions, etc.), open to feedback.
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving Skills: Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interest of Evergreen. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Supervised by: Chief Executive Officer
- Supervises: Future Cities Canada, and related program Community Support Network – comprising in total: 25-30 FTE staff, and a larger network of partners and contractors.
- A university degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience in the field in Canadian cities and ideally beyond
- 10+ years of work experience in a managerial capacity, with experience in placemaking, city-building, community engagement, policy development, stakeholder management, diverse collaborations, and Board support
- Specialization in multi-stakeholder program management, funder and government relations, policy development, advocacy
- Excellent understanding of program development and delivery, communications, marketing, sales, finance, and management
- Demonstrated not-for-profit and social enterprise acumen
- Proven record of performance with set goals
- Judgment and decision making skills, with the ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions, and choose the appropriate option
- Ability to identify measures of performance and actions needed to improve performance to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- Experience with Change Management, and experience navigating a highly innovative and demanding working environment
- Ability to delegate, set expectations, and monitor progress of all direct reports
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and provide feedback to employees, as well as the ability to accept and act on feedback from employees
- Ability to prioritize tasks and use time effectively in order to set action plans to achieve business targets
- Demonstrated experience working in diverse communities with stakeholders from marginalized or under-represented communities
- Bilingual in French an asset
- Both office environment and a strong on-the-ground presence with national teams and stakeholders
Terms of contract: Full time
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Reference “Chief Program Officer” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance.