Join the world’s largest wish granting organization and help us strive to bring every eligible Canadian child’s wish to life. Make-A-Wish® Canada is going through an exciting evolution that you can be a part of – grow with us! We are seeking enthusiastic fundraising professionals to join our team in the areas of individual giving, events and corporate alliances.
Along with the National Office, eight regional chapters grant transformational wishes for children in need from coast-to-coast. Make-A-Wish Canada is an affiliate of Make-A-Wish® International, the largest wish-granting organization in the world, granting wishes for more than 480,000 children since 1980.
If you are a dynamic team member who is results-driven, customer-focused, multifaceted and - most of all - fun, Make-A-Wish® is the place for you!
The Development Officer, Individual Giving will be a primary driver of Make-A-Wish® Canada’s Individual Giving efforts and should have a well-rounded fundraising background, with proven success in:
- Annual and/or mid-level giving
- Donor cultivation and stewardship
The ideal candidate will bring experience in developing and executing a multi-faceted individual giving program, including monthly giving and mid-level giving. The candidate should also have experience working with donor databases (including Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce), and demonstrate a strong commitment to maintaining data integrity, providing excellent customer service, and working in a collaborative team environment. She/he will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and managing projects independently with appropriate consultation. Ideally, the candidate will also have experience and expertise developing and implementing individual giving strategies through digital platforms and channels.
The Development Officer, Individual Giving is an important member of the Make-A-Wish Canada fundraising team, creating, managing and growing donor programs targeting individuals that support significant and continued organizational growth to further our mission. The select candidate must possess a proven record of successful individual donor fundraising and should be a proactive team player who can manage numerous projects and deadlines with ease. This role reports directly to the VP, Marketing and Development and works alongside the Marketing and Development team.
1. Fundraising and Donor Cultivation
- Collaborate with the team to develop an annual Individual Giving plan that meets the organizational fiscal needs and monitor progress against the plan. The focus for of the program will be to develop a donor acquisition strategy, a robust monthly giving program and initiate development of a mid-level giving program;
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and guidelines pertaining to Individual Giving fundraising functions;
- Support the development and execution of strategic fundraising plans, in collaboration with the senior leadership team and key external consultants;
- Assist with the development and launch of national major gift program;
- Work closely with Officer, Officer, Digital and Brand Communications and Donor Engagement and Stewardship Officer and to develop communications strategy and effective, donor communications (including reporting, stewardship pieces), web-based experiences, and social media strategies related to development;
- Work with external consultant(s) regarding the timely submission of well-researched and well-written grant proposals;
- Actively identify new opportunities for relationship building with potential donors;
- Keep the organization current in relevant philanthropic trends, opportunities and best practices, in alignment with Canada Revenue Agency guidelines.
2. List Management and Database Tracking
- Work with external database consultant on preparing list extractions for mailings, including: Direct Marketing appeals, Newsletter, Annual Report, Factor 18, and Holiday mailings;
- Manage all administrative duties associated with donations and incoming revenue for Individual Giving;
- Manage estate tracking and foundation tracking;
- Reporting and analysis for Direct Marketing, Individual Giving and other areas as required.
3. Budget and Strategic Planning
- Support monitoring of expenses against budget;
- Support strategic planning and budgeting process.
- Minimum three years of experience in individual giving programs;
- College diploma, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/professional experience;
- Excellent track record in setting and achieving fund development targets;
- Demonstrated ability in planning and implementing long- and short-range development initiatives in conjunction with strategic planning processes;
- Strong track record of donor cultivation and stewardship;
- Success in developing and managing annual giving and monthly giving programs;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and communicate with a variety of audiences, including donors, volunteers, committees, and senior management
- Works well independently to achieve results and solve problems;
- Ability to be a team player amongst a smaller team and a casual working environment;
- Enthusiasm and a positive, engaging approach;
- Ability to inspire donors, volunteers, staff team, and/or corporate partners;
- Experience securing major donors considered an asset;
- Computer proficiency in using the MS Office suite;
- Experience with donor databases such as Salesforce or Raiser's Edge;
- Flexibility and willingness to work on occasional evenings and weekends;
- A valid driving license is an asset.