Applications are invited to apply for a part-time (Tuesday-Friday, 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM, with some Saturdays required) Senior Youth Worker position at the Boys & Girls Club of Ottawa. The incumbent will work at our Don McGahan Clubhouse. This position reports to the Clubhouse Manager.
- Coordination of the Art Now program including facilitation of Arts programs
- Assisting in the coordination and preparation of the daily snack program.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating the strategic and/or operational plans for assigned site-specific or club-wide social, educational and/or recreational programs and services
- Training, scheduling, supervising and evaluating site volunteers;
- Assisting with training/development and supervision of site employees;
- Direct leadership in assigned programs;
- Provision of mentoring and guidance services to members as required
- Administrative record keeping and reporting for assigned programs and services
- Assisting with promotion of clubhouse programs and services;
- Community outreach and communication with parents/guardians, community partners and committees
- University degree or College diploma in Child &Youth-related studies or related.
- Standard first aid/CPR C.
- Min. 3 years of experience in a child and youth-related field, including direct leadership and program administration.
- Experience in the arts considered a strong asset.
- HIGH FIVE certificate is an asset.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with service providers/ program partners
- Demonstrated ability to represent their agency at meetings and for public presentations
- Demonstrated administrative and report writing skills
- Knowledge of current child/youth and diversity issues in Ottawa
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated C&Y mentoring and counseling skills (advanced)
- Demonstrated training skills
- Ability to work effectively with and develop volunteers
- Demonstrated organizational and program planning skills
- Knowledge of computers/Internet/database management
- General understanding of diversity issues (cultural, socio-economic, etc.)
- Demonstrated direct leadership skills (in a program instruction capacity)
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and within a team environment with minimal supervision
- Knowledge and understanding of children’s mental health issues.
- Proven ability to engage resistant children in programming activities.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively problem solve.
- Multilingualism is an asset (French, Arabic, Mandarin or Somali).
Please note: the following are required for this position:
- Valid Driver’s License and comfortable driving members to/from events is considered an asset.
- Current clear criminal record check (vulnerable sector)
- Experience in running/coordinating arts programs considered as asset
Compensation: $17.50 per hour
Start date: December 1, 2019
Please indicate, in email subject line, SYW (McGahan)
All interested candidates are asked to submit their application, in confidence, to the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, Human Resource Department at no later than December 15, 2019.
We encourage all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume and cover letter, quoting the position title. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa values diversity. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and to providing a workplace which is free from discrimination and harassment. This means that all job applicants, employees and volunteers receive equal treatment regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origins, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.