Senior’s Program & Special Projects Coordinator
Part-Time, 1 Year Contract
The Rexdale Community Health Centre (RCHC) is a multi-service centre providing primary health care, health promotion and community support services, including settlement and community development activities for families, children, youth, adults and seniors of diverse backgrounds.
The Senior’s Program Coordinator will coordinate the implementation and facilitation of Programs and Special Projects for the Ethno Cultural Seniors Program. The program serves ethno racial seniors 55+ residing in the Rexdale area and aims to reduce social isolation, support the development of social networks, promote health and wellness, and aid in building self-esteem and self-confidence to lead an active independent life.
Responsibilities and Related Tasks:
- Coordinate the long-range planning for the Seniors Programs and Special Projects.
- Ensure the program activities are carried out in the spirit of the Centre’s mission and goals.
- Provide support, information, referrals and informal counselling to individuals, groups and families in the program and the community at large, when needed (and when feasible).
- Ensure the participants are involved in decision-making and program planning for all the program activities.
- Coordinate the implementation of program evaluation in accordance with the format designed by the Centre.
- Maintain liaison with on-going funders.
- Assist in the preparation of funding submission/proposals for the Seniors Programs and Special Projects.
- Develop strategies for funding for the Seniors Programs and Special Projects.
- Prepare budget and ensure that spending is on target.
- Write budget submission and budget reports to funders.
- Ensure program attendance recording is completed for the programs.
- Identify health related issues affecting the seniors community.
- Support individuals and groups to articulate and advocate for health and related services appropriate to the seniors community.
- Ensure there are linkages developed between other related programs and services in the community.
- Identify programs and resources needed to support the Centre’s activities by developing and maintaining informal and formal community networks.
- Develop and maintain contacts with community agencies, local businesses, and appropriate referral agencies.
- Ensure that the Seniors Program and Special Projects staff and participants develop links with community organizations and community members.
- Assist program participants and community members to identify issues and concerns and to develop appropriate action in accordance with the Centre’s goals and mission.
- Publicize the program activities utilizing social and multi media and public speaking.
- Facilitate staff team decision-making and provide support and direction to the program workers, volunteers and students.
- Assist the Seniors Program and Special Projects teams to identify training and development needs and provide support and resources to help them meet those needs.
- Coordinate hiring of new staff for the Seniors Program and Special Projects in accordance with the Centre’s policies and principles.
- Ensure that program staff, students and volunteers know and use the Centre operating policies and principles.
- Implement the Centre’s personnel policy for the programs’ staff team
- Facilitate decision and resolution of challenges/issues/concerns within staff team
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post Graduate degree in Gerontology / Activation & Recreation or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with seniors of diverse cultures in a community based setting.
- Understanding of seniors issues in a culturally diverse setting.
- Proven experience in program / project planning, development and implementation.
- Advanced Computer literacy skills
- Good English language skills, written and verbal.
- Second language written and verbal, is an asset.
- Experience with proposal writing and grant submissions.
- Ability to develop program budgets and monitor program spending.
- Proven experience in working / supervising in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of the Rexdale community and its agencies.
- Knowledge of services and community organization serving seniors of diverse cultures or the ability to make such connections.
- Demonstrated commitment to social change.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
Salary: $24.94 an hour
Hours: 21 hours per week, subject to continued funding
Starting date: ASAP
Application Due: June 25, 2019
Please apply in confidence to:
Human Resources Generalist
Please quote “Senior’s Program Coordinator”.
We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please note this is a unionized environment-UFCW Locals 175 and 633
The Rexdale Community Health Centre is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from people representing the diverse community we serve. Rexdale CHC strives to create a respectful, accessible, and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview, or selection processes please contact Human Resources for assistance.