Civic Theatres Toronto
Civic Theatre Toronto’s Front of House is currently accepting applications for the role of “Duty Manager”. This is a part time seasonal position for an experienced and outgoing team player. This role consists of working evenings and weekend hours as required.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Patron Services, this position is responsible for assisting the Patron Services department in running events and performances in all aspects to ensure a high level of customer service and safety.
ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate and supervise the duties of the unionized front of house team and contract security personnel during performances and events to ensure smooth and professional management of front of house during shows and events; coordinate emergency services as required
- Resolve patron concerns and complaints; escalate as required to include other departments including Box Office and Marketing to ensure best possible customer service model
- Assist in coordinating the flow of event and performance-related information between internal departments; preparation of show reports, FOH information sheets, schedules, duty assignments and other day to day department duties as assigned
- Manage patron flow through appropriate staffing, assignment of duties and supervision of theatre attendants and event security staff to provide quality service to Civic Theatre Toronto (CTT) patrons with an atmosphere of cooperative labour relations
- Assist in other duties including event load in and outs as well as any other show or event related duty
- Ensure safe evacuation of the entire FOH area of the building (members of the public and staff) in the event of an emergency; liaison with emergency services
- Ensure employee conduct, uniform and personal hygiene requirements are adhered to
- Prepare nightly reports including house counts, deposits, lost and found and patron’s feedback
- Promote a positive perception of CTT at all times both internally & external
- Any and all other assigned duties as required
BARS AND CONCESSIONS OPERATIONS (TORONTO CENTRE FOR THE ARTS & ST. LAWRENCE CENTRE ONLY):
- Ensure the bars run smoothly on a daily basis & are adequately stocked with all necessary goods
- In accordance to health and safety guidelines, ensure the stands are kept in sanitary condition before, during and after an event
- Maintain accurate perpetual inventory counts of food, supplies and equipment
- Ensure opening and closing inventory counts are accurate and complete
- Address discrepancies over tolerable thresholds as set by management
- Monitor cleanliness and hygiene of bar area
- Ensure adherence to stock control procedures
- Oversee accurate cash out procedures and ensure necessary paperwork is complete
- Ensure adherence to cash management procedures as set out by Finance
- Verify, collect, count and deposit money after each performance shift
- Minimum college or university level post-secondary education
- Minimum three years of experience in house management
- Experience in a unionized work environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of emergency and safety procedures
- Flexibility, adaptability, planning and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills; ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with patrons, clients, and staff
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Judgment and problem solving skills to assess and resolve situations quickly, discretely and with minimal disruption to performances/events
- Crowd management skills to coordinate orderly movement and maintain safety of large numbers of people
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook in a Windows operating environment
- Extreme noise during some performances and events
- Potential danger in coordinating movement and safety of large numbers of people.
- Physical discomfort caused by lack of formal meal or comfort breaks
- Ability to stand and walk freely and quickly
- Variable hours of work depending on performance and event schedules
- Occasional stressful emergency situations involving patron and client illness and injury
- Difficult and demanding patrons and clients
Civic Theatres Toronto is one of the city’s largest multi-arts organizations, operating three iconic venues and presenting a full range of performing arts, theatrical and concert events in both downtown and uptown Toronto at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts and the Toronto Centre for the Arts.
As a charitable non-profit organization the mission of Civic Theatres Toronto is to activate creative spaces by inspiring local and international artists, connect audiences and to be the nexus for new ideas, elevate artistic potential, and be the catalyst for creative expression that is reflective of Toronto’s diversity.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume for confidential consideration to email@example.com. Please include ‘Duty Manager” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Civic Theatres Toronto thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Civic Theatres Toronto is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Civic Theatres Toronto is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Date Posted: January 11, 2019
Application Deadline: January 25, 2019
Start Date: ASAP