Do you have a passion to contribute to organized real estate, to protect public interest and to advance the Realtor® brand?
If so, you may be a candidate for a Public Advisor Position on the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board of Directors (BoD).
The FVREB is one of eleven Real Estate Boards in beautiful British Columbia, serving the communities of Abbotsford, Langley, Mission, North Delta, Surrey and White Rock – providing a broad range of services to both licensees and consumers.
FVREB members are dedicated to upholding the highest standards of real estate service and are committed to pursuit of excellence in their fields.
Through its Mission and its Vision, the FVREB works to advance best practices in organized real estate in the public interest.
The FVREB has a dual mandate – to serve & advocate for FVREB members and to act in the public interest. The FVREB volunteer Board of Directors comprises twelve licensee directors and is looking to complement its 2020 slate by recruiting a Public Advisor from the public in order to represent the public interest and to benefit from skills in areas outside those usually within the membership’s expertise (law, accounting, self-regulation, advocacy, etc.) The addition of a Public Advisor will assist in ensuring that the FVREB retains the public’s trust in the practice of its members. For these reasons, this position is not available to FVREB members or licensees.
Directors of the FVREB:
- Oversee the strategic direction of the FVREB;
- Ensure that the FVREB is compliant with its commitments under the Real Estate Services Act (RESA) and the BC Societies Act;
- Ensure that the FVREB follows its bylaws, regulations and policies;
- Ensure that the FVREB responds to the needs of its members and stakeholders within BC’s regulatory framework inclusive of the Canadian Real Estate Association’s (CREA) Realtor® Code of Ethics;
- Ensure that the FVREB is both innovative and sustainable;
- Ensure that members are appropriately informed through multiple communications channels;
- Ensure that the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is empowered to lead the organization in keeping with FVREB goals and objectives;
- Ensure that each committee follows its terms of reference and delivers on its respective mandate;
- Serve as a resource for the Board, committees and staff as appropriate; and
- Participate in Board of Director decision-making and support resolutions of the Board.
In addition to these broad duties, Directors are generally expected to attend:
- Regularly scheduled meetings of the BoD – expected to be bi-monthly or quarterly in 2020, typically three to five hours in duration;
- Special events, in whole or in part, including the Conference & Trade Show, the Annual General Meeting (AGM), Medallion Awards Gala and Member Breakfast meetings;
- Board Strategic Planning Session generally held annually; and
- Other meetings as may be required.
While a volunteer position, the successful candidate may be eligible to receive a moderate per diem and will be reimbursed for expenses incurred to attend FVREB meetings per the Board’s expense policy that may from time-to-time change. FVREB Directors are covered by Directors and Officers insurance.
Preference shall be given to candidates who, amongst other qualities, exhibit:
- Above average knowledge of Communications strategies, tactics and mediums in a membership-based organization;
- Some experience with the real estate market and familiarity with NFP organizations of similar size & complexity as the FVREB;
- Basic understanding of the Realtor® profession and experience working in or leading a team;
- Understanding of governance practices, along with three or more years' experience as a Board Director or two or more years' experience as a Board Officer or experience as a Board / Committee Chair;
- Demonstrated understanding of the working of government, by way of previous government interaction or senior employment within government;
- Progressive IT Development / Deployment experience with exposure to digital transformation initiatives; and
- Comprehension of Regulatory frameworks and exposure to legal constructs.
Candidates can learn more about the FVREB through its website at www.fvreb.bc.ca. To direct your indication of interest, please click the "Apply Now" button below, attaching CV and / or letter of application (describing alignment with above-referenced qualities) by Sunday, December 15, 2019 for consideration by the Nominating Committee of the Board and expected presentation at the FVREB AGM in February 2020.