Co-Director of the Early Childhood Centre at Holy Blossom Temple
Early Childhood Jewish Education is often the stepping stone in a congregation’s and family’s Jewish Educational program. The role of the director and or co-director- and the school itself is very significant and should serve as a part of the support system of the educational efforts of the larger congregation. It is the responsibility of the director to define these early educational goals and develop the appropriate curriculum as well as creating the social and academic environment that is current in general educational trends and more specifically to Early Jewish Education.
Overview: General Responsibilities:
The Co-Director of a Temple based program must:
- Create an environment where families in our Early Childhood Centre (ECC) programs feel a strong connection to Holy Blossom Temple.
- Serve as a highly visible and accessible leader who is able to cultivate a strong sense of community among students, staff and parents and Temple.
- Oversee the administration and operations of the school and its connection to the Temple
- Promote a nurturing, welcoming and engaging atmosphere
- Establish, implement and monitor long and short-term strategic plans for ECC programs and curriculum
- Development of annual budgets and fiscal oversight of the ongoing departmental operational budgets
- Direct program compliance with the Ontario Ministry of Education, Toronto Public Health and the Toronto Fire Department to ensure the health and safety of all children and staff at all times
- Lead and guide staff in the design and implementation of an enhanced, integrated, secular, Jewish culture/celebration and developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Be well versed in the Ontario Ministry of Education’s ‘Child Care and Early Years Act’.
- Provide faculty with meaningful professional development opportunities, ongoing supervision and regular evaluation
- Create strong relationships and partnerships with school/Temple families
- Responsible for enrollment
- Ongoing observation of students and staff with regular feedback
- Attendance at appropriate professional conferences as time and funding permits
- Identification of opportunities for new services that meet the needs of young children
- Successful at building strong, mutually respectful relationships
- Attend weekly professional staff meetings, monthly board meetings, and committee meetings as needed to facilitate programming plans and needs.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) and leadership skills
- Extensive administrative experience at the early childhood level including the supervision of faculty and staff in addition to working with a lay committee
- Forward thinking and well-versed in current educational theories and early childhood curricula
- Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Educational Leadership
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as an ECE
- 5+ years demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in Early Childhood
- Registered Early Childhood Educator
- Experience implementing Judaic and developmental curricula in early childhood
- Computer literacy
Parent Education and Parent Resources:
- The Co-Director serves as a resource contact for young families with infants and preschool aged children, and is available to offer information pertaining to parenting in all areas, social, emotional, and developmental. Judaic resource books are made available which offer insight into topics specific to Jewish Parenting.
- Maintain positive communication with parents, both written and oral.
- Address issues and concerns and enhance parental involvement in the school/Temple
- Make Early Childhood Jewish Education a family educational experience
- Act as a consultant to early childhood issues. Serve as a positive communicative link between staff and parents when necessary.
- Act as a public relations representative/liaison presenting parental concerns and issues to the education staff, executive staff and the board as the need arises.
- Prepare annual budget.
- Monitor expenses and collection of tuition and fees.
- Establish such fees and develop enrollment policy.
- Stay in close contact with the accounting department.
- Fundraising projects as needed.
- Ensure that teaching staff is compensated for appropriately.
- Ensure that all inventory materials, orders and purchases of art and educational supplies, daily snack supplies are within budget allotment.
- Maintain supervision and instructional guidance through regular staff meetings and in-service training opportunities.
- Hire, terminate, and evaluate performance of all ECC teachers and staff.
- Involve teachers together as a group, in their teams, and individually to allow for planning, creating, and implementing curriculum and new policies and ideas.
- Provide teachers with appropriate curriculum materials and encourage exploration of innovative techniques and materials within their classrooms
- Serve as a leader and a guide. Observe and offer suggestions for change as needed.
- Know the needs of the teachers and their students. Act as a referral/intervention system for the parents of those children with special needs.
- Demonstrate and maintain positive and respectful relationships among the staff.
- Working with the Temple Communications/Marketing director to coordinate the strategies for community recognition and advertising.
- Provide all information and calendar of events for community advertising
- Represent the Congregation and the ECC at relevant occasions and events in our community.
- Establish and maintain communications with local Jewish agencies
- Publish monthly newsletter for our ECC families.
- Represent the Congregation with required licensing agencies as necessary
Application deadline is Friday March 29, 2019. Please submit your resume and cover letter, in strictest confidence, to email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Holy Blossom Temple welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.