POSITION: ORGANIZER (INDUSTRY RELATIONS OFFICER)
START DATE: ASAP
DURATION OF APPOINTMENT: Permanent Full Time
Working in a team environment reporting to the Director of Contracts and Director of Member Services, this position will work with the Director of Contracts and the Commercial Department to develop contracts on a case by case basis that they can sell to producers and clients.
The incumbent will develop and lead external organizing campaigns that will result in the unionization of non-members and increased work opportunities for existing UBCP/ACTRA Members and will engage members through a variety of methods to increase the involvement, awareness and education of our UBCP/ACTRA membership.
The position will be responsible for developing strategies, outcomes and measures of success. This successful candidate will be well versed in the areas of marketing, communications, labour relations, and negotiations.
If you’re passionate about union organizing, a tireless advocate for performers in the creative arts, and excel at both strategy and tactics of influencing others towards collective action, please apply.
- Strong communicator with a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and create win-win solutions with engagers, Members, agents, and other Industry influencers
- Proven negotiator with fluency in collective bargaining and labour relations
- Expert ability to research current obstacles and possible solutions (strategic problem solving)
- High level attention to detail
- Leadership skills, including the ability to facilitate the member engagement process, meetings and training
- Proficient with social media tools especially Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other emerging trends
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, and to make decisions in accordance with established policies, standards and objectives
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to multi task and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of current Union policies, branding, operations and activities is considered an asset
- Knowledge of the BC Labour Code is an asset
Educational background and industry-related knowledge and experience will be considered in assessing applicants in accordance with Article 13.03 of the UBCP/UNIFOR Collective Agreement
HOURS OF WORK:
5 Days per week; Option B - Servicing Staff - pursuant to Article 22.03.
Flexible schedule required – OT will be balanced with time off.
Annual salary of $96,753.04; plus 4% pursuant to article 22.04(c)
Interested candidates should apply by submitting their current cover letter and resume which details their experience and skills as it relates to this position, to the HR Generalist, John Nguyen.
The deadline for receipt of applications is no later than 4:30 pm March 18th 2019.
UBCP/ACTRA and the UNIFOR, Local 3000, adhere to the principles of employment equity.
Organizer Job Description
- Seeks out, identifies, converts and certifies all non-union production as directed by the Employer.
- Maintains positive and supportive relationships with Members and industry insiders influential in productions and having
- access to vital organizing information and support.
- Cultivates positive working relationships with Talent Agents, Casting Directors and representatives of film industry talent to
- facilitate support of organizing efforts.
- Educates Members, Apprentices and other performers about the Union, their rights and the Employment Standards and
- Labour Relations Board support of their contracted rights, conditions, minimum terms, rates and Use Fee entitlements.
- Monitors Producers and productions filming in the jurisdiction including Feature Films, Television Movies, Series,
- Commercials, Animation and Voice/Radio Productions under union jurisdiction to ensure union contracts are in place and the
- terms are complied with.
- Serves as a scrutineer of votes that are held regarding certifications.
- Assists in the maintenance of files for applications for certifications as required.
- Attends Labour Relations Board hearings related to organizing.
- Organizes performers on and off set(s) for the purpose of ratifications of votes held on applications for certifications.
- Assists in organizing meetings of performers for organizing purposes.
- Liaises with the Membership Services Coordinator regarding the expansion, recruiting and organizing of the Apprentice Membership.
- Assists in mail outs, as required.
- Attends Membership Meetings, as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Employer.
- Reports to the Employer.