- Personal Support Worker: The position reports to PCIL/CPVA Care Coordinator
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- To provide 24 hour attendant care to persons with a physical disability and Assisted Living Services to senior in their own home.
- Attendant care and Assisted Living shall mean the provision of such services, on a 24 hour basis, as may be required by the consumer, including consumers who are technologically dependent, in order that all activities of daily living can be accomplished in a reasonable time span.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH and SAFETY:
- PCIL/CPVA requires each employee to work in compliance with the provisions of the
Occupational Health and Safety Act and report to the supervisor any contravention of the
Act or regulations, or any hazard they are aware of. Employees must report any work related
injury or illness to the appropriate individual immediately.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- An appropriate combination of physical care experience and education is required. The staff
person must possess strong interpersonal communication skills and have a common sense
approach to problem solving. The position requires that staff work without direct supervision
and be able to manage time effectively. Good physical health and certification in CPR and
First Aid are required, and a police reference checks are required. Some positions require
Knowledge and adherence to the policies and procedures of PCIL/CPVA.
Attending and participating in staff meetings and in-service programs is mandatory.
Communicate effectively with team members, supervisor and Executive Director re: safety
concerns, issues affecting consumers, etc.
Maintenance of staff unit for the attendant services program: staffs is required to perform
housekeeping duties which include, but not necessarily limited to tidying, vacuuming,
cleaning of kitchen, bathroom and laundering of staff linens.
Other related duties and other duties deemed necessary by management.
- Respecting the consumer right to self-determination.
- Deliver consumer-directed support services, respecting the individuality and dignity of each consumer
- Under the direction of the consumer, provide attendant care, which shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- a) Personal care: Washing, bathing, showering; mouth care, hair care, dressing and undressing, assistance with toileting, transferring, positioning and turning, preventative skin care, changing dressings (not wound care), exercising; range of motion,, assistance with eating, escorts to medical appointments. Suctioning and tracheotomy care.
- b) Activities of daily living assistance (ADL): light housekeeping; household and personal laundry; meal preparation; feeding; care of specialized equipment, including ventilators and related equipment.
- c) Instrumental Activities of daily Living (IADLS): housework, taking medications as prescribed, managing money, shopping for groceries or clothing, use of telephone or other form of communication, using technology (as applicable), transportation within the community.