Date Posted: October 7, 2019
Position Title: Manager, Adult Learning & Immigrant Services
Location: Robert Lee YMCA: Vancouver, BC (with programs in Vancouver, Burnaby, and Chilliwack)
Salary: Under review, includes benefits
Start Date: As soon as possible
Terms: Full-time, Permanent (35 hours per week)
Reports To: Director, Employment & Immigrant Services
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour—we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 130 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 120,000 participants annually.
Nature and Scope:
The Manager, Adult Learning & Immigrant Services oversees three key program areas including Immigrant Services, Self Employment for Newcomers and Digital Literacy Exchange. Programs run out of Burnaby, Chilliwack and Vancouver.
The Manager supervises 5 full-time staff and 3 part-time staff. The Manager has a key role in managing program resources, ensuring program targets are met, and maintaining strong relationships with funders and community partners. They will have in depth knowledge of challenges faced by immigrants, an excellent understanding of programs that support immigrant integration and a genuine commitment to supporting newcomers.
- Oversee the delivery of high quality programs/services that meet government and YMCA requirements/standards
- Ensure fiscal responsibility by planning and administering three operating budgets. This includes assessing variances, forecasting and making recommendations to address current and future expenditures.
- Provide leadership to a team of 8 full time and 2 part time staff, and 60+ volunteers
- Coach and support staff and volunteer teams to achieve excellence in service delivery
- Participate in full HR processes with employees as necessary such as recruitment, development and discipline
- Ensure compliance with all terms of program agreements with funders are met including targets, expenditures of funds, financial and statistical reporting
- Ensure program outcomes are achieved in each community
- Implement and refine a promotions plan, ensuring that the outreach initiatives achieve program targets
- Evaluates the delivery of program/functional area and ensures ongoing tracking and monitoring to ensure continuous improvement
- Participate in responses to funder requests for proposals
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with key partners including immigrant serving community agencies, federal/provincial program officers, YMCA program staff. This involves sitting on various Immigrant Serving boards and planning tables in different municipalities
- Plans, participates in and supports Association-wide initiatives and fundraising events.
- Provide leadership to the YMCA Annual Campaign
- A post-secondary degree in a related discipline and 5 years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience managing programs, including budget management, staff oversight and supervision of off-site programs
- Experience working in the immigrant services and employment sector and in depth knowledge of the sectors in the Lower Mainland
- Excellent understanding of immigrant integration and job seeker supports
- Proven capacity to assess and deepen program impact.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining community partnerships and relationships
- Experience in program development, workshop design and facilitation
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to establish rapport with participants, staff and volunteers
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills including Powerpoint, Excel, Word etc.
- Standard First Aid and CPR –C required, can be completed within first 30 days of employment.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- A valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle (for off-site meetings and program site visits)
- Ability to work flexible hours (evenings/weekends) as required by the programs
- Fluency in one of the main newcomer languages other than English, an asset
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
- Evolve in Professional Capability – Commit to being better
- Achieve Excellence and Authenticity – Show up with the best version of you
- Develop the Potential in Others – Help people grow and lead
- Create a Culture of Connection – Build bridges between people and partners
- Think and Act Strategically – Make good decisions and act on them
- Make an Intentional Impact – Advance the strength and cause of the
Complete online application using the following link:
Application Deadline: 6pm on October 17, 2019
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.