|Organization Name||Job Categories||Position Type||Region and Location(s)||Career Level||Salary||Ad Online Since||Application Deadline|
|NABORS -Neighbours Allied for Better Opportunities in Residential Support||Full Time||Experienced (Non-manager)||N/A||2019-02-25||2019-04-26|
NABORS is an organization of people who want the world to be a place where all people, including people with disabilities, can live in inclusive community. We are dedicated to supporting people with physical and developmental disabilities to have rich and full lives in community and have control over their lives. Our circles of support are made up of our friends and families who freely give their time to assist us to make informed decisions, act on choices, manage our paid supports and feel safe.
NABORS currently has an opening for a community-based support worker / coordinator who will work to enrich the opportunities for a woman who lives with disability. This position is a one –to-one support work and coordination support role. Candidates should be self-motivated, but able to take direction and foster facilitated choice-making. Candidates should have a knack for bringing people together and connecting others with their respective communities.
The right candidate is able to listen, creates understanding & empathetic environments, and take direction from the supported member. The community support worker models respect and dignity. The ideal candidate will also be able to foster relationships, both in the immediate and larger community of the supported member.
This is a dual role providing 30 hours a week of Community Support Worker support and 5 hours a week of Coordination support. The supported member lives in the Jane and Eglinton area of Toronto. The Coordination Support hours are a one year contract position.
The Community Support Worker / Coordinator Role provides support by:
• Assisting the supported member to maintain a home where she has maximum control over her environment, her activities, and her associations; where she can feel safe and secure; where she can welcome friends and family
• Supporting the member’s health needs including personal care, physical, and nutritional needs
• Assisting in relationship building by the development of and support to natural relationships within the member’s family, friends, and community
• Assisting with the finding of, and participation in, valued roles for the member within her home, co-operative living arrangements, and community life
• Assisting the supported member in pursuing her goals with the assistance of the support circle
• Coordinating staff scheduling
• Supporting the individual to arrange medical, dental, and therapy appointments
• Researching community events
• Maintaining documentation including weekly report writing, email communications, time sheet submissions for the support team
• Liaison with supported member, family, circle friends, support staff, medical personnel
• Support the member in the area of learning augmentative communication strategies
• 3 – 5 years experience supporting individuals with disabilities
• Knowledge of Acquired Brain Injury and Epilepsy
• Knowledge of Social Role Valorizaton (SRV)
• Understanding of the NABORS approach of individualized support and autonomy
• Knowledge of augmentative communication is considered an asset
• Flexibility as position requires varied support hours including potential overnight and weekend support
• Patience and compassion
• Ability to implement creative strategies to help deescalate situations of potential conflict
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
• Excellent organizational skills
• Use of a car is preferred
Location: Jane and Eglinton
This position reports to the supported member’s circle of family and unpaid friends.
The hiring is conditional upon clearing a Vulnerable Sector Police check. Emergency First Aid & CPR will be required.
NABORS is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified persons.
Accommodations during the hiring process can be made available to applicants who make their accommodation needs known in advance. We thank all applicants but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.